Error Compensation of Spindle Expansion by Cutting Model on a Machining Center
The thermally induced error of machine tool has been investigated under the real cutting condition. It was found that the thermal displacement of the spindle relative to the workpiece was different from the model genereated by the air-cutting condition as specified in ISO 230-3. An error compensation strategy has thus been developed for the spindle thermal expansion on a machining center. Experimental results showed that even for a long duration cut, the errors can always be controlled to within 5µm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. SCHULTSCHIK (1977) The Components of Volumetric Accuracy. Annals of the CIRP 26 (1), p. 223Google Scholar
- 3.M. WECK and L. ZANGS (1975) Computing the Thermal Behavior of Machine Tools Using Finite Element Method-Possibilities leitian Limitations. Proc 16th MTDR Conf. 16.Google Scholar
- 4.K. OKUSHIMA, et al. (1975) Compensation of Thermal Displacement by Coordinate System Correction. Annals of the CIRP 24 (1), p. 327Google Scholar
- 5.G. SPUR (1990) Thermal Behavior Optimization of Machine Tools Using Design Measures and Compensatory Techniques. Proc 4th IMEC. Japan, p. 3Google Scholar
- 6.B. R. HARDWICK (1992) Improving the Accuracy of CNC Machine Tools Using Software Compensation for Thermally Induced Errors. Proc 29th MATADOR Conf. p.269Google Scholar
- 7.P. MARSHALL and B. HARDWICK (1989) The Heat if Off. Manufacturing Engineering June, p. 22Google Scholar
- 8.J. S. CHEN et al. (1992) Thermal Error Modeling for Volumetric Error Compensation. ASME Annual Winter Meeting PED-55, P. 113Google Scholar
- 10.K.C. FAN (1992) Measurement and Compensation of Thermal Error on a Machining Center. Proc. 29th MATADOR Conf., p. 261Google Scholar
- 11.C.H. LO, J. YUAN and J. NI (1994) An Application of Real-time Error Compensation on a Turning Center. Proc of Int. MST’94 Symp. China, p.151Google Scholar
- 12.ISO 230–3 (1994) Acceptance Code for Machine Tools-Part3: Evaluation of Thermal Effects.Google Scholar
- 13.K.C. FAN (1994) CAD-directed Inspection and Dimensional Control on a Machining Center. Proc. of Int. MST’94 Symp. China, p. 418Google Scholar
- 14.K.Y. HUNG (1994) Thermal Error Compensation of Machine Tool through Direct Cutting Tests. M.Sc Thesis, National Taiwan University.Google Scholar