The Elections of 1984–89 as a Factor in the Transformation of the Social Order in Poland
The 1980s decade was undoubtedly a turning point in Poland’s recent history. An attempt to ‘normalise’ the system and to rebuild its main structures had followed the great workers’ revolt of 1980–81. Such moves were however unable to prevent the gradual break-up of the system which came to fruition in the transformation of 1989; this was begun by the Round Table meetings and was accelerated by Solidarity’s great victory in the curial parliamentary elections of June 1989.
KeywordsPolitical Orientation Church Attendance Vote Behaviour Round Table Political Behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stanisław Ossowski, ‘Koncepcje ładu społecznego i typy przewidywań’ Studia Filozoficzne (1959).Google Scholar
- 2.See Janine Wedel, Private Poland (New York: Facts on File, 1986) and her chapter inGoogle Scholar
- S. Gomulka and A. Polonsky (eds), Polish Perspectives (London: Routledge, 1990).Google Scholar
- Cf. Tomasz Żukowski’s chapter in W. Nieciuński and T. Żukowski (eds), Studia nad ładem społecznym (Warsaw University, 1989).Google Scholar
- 3.On the consequential forms of cognitive dissonance see the stimulating argument by Edmund Wnuk-Lipiński, ‘Social Dimorphism and its implications’ in J. Koralewicz, I. Bialecki and M. Watson (eds), Crisis and Transition. Polish Society in the 1980s (Oxford: Berg, 1987), pp. 159–76.Google Scholar
- 4.The mechanisms of candidate-selection and the ‘crossing-off’ of candidates on the voting-lists in this period are examined by G. Sakwa & M. Crouch, ‘Sejm Elections in Communist Poland: an Overview and a Reappraisal’, British Journal of Political Science, vol. 8 (1978), pp. 403–24.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Stanisław Gebethner (ed.), Demokracja i wybory (Warsaw: IPN UW, 1989), chapter 9.Google Scholar
- 8.Cezary Sowiński, ‘Wybory do rad narodowych. Okoliczności-Uwarunkowania-Zachowania-Konsekwencje’ (Warsaw: unpublished CBOS mimeograph, 1989).Google Scholar
- 9.Jacek Raciborski, ‘Rytual, plebyscyt czy wybory? Socjologiczna analiza wyborów do rad narodowych w 1988 roku’ (unpublished manuscript, Sociology Institute, Warsaw University, 1989).Google Scholar
- 10.W. Adamski, K. Jasiewicz and A. Rychard (eds), ‘Polacy 84. Dynamika konsensusu i konfliktu’ (Warsaw, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, 1986) for the full description of the questionnaire, the definition of the construction of the four political orientations discussed below and how the coefficient of political confidence discussed in table 2 was calculated.Google Scholar