Basic Income Schemes and the Lessons from Public Economics
What I would like to do in this lecture is to take one major policy issue in the field of social security and taxation — the proposal to introduce a basic income scheme — and use it as a basis for reviewing the current state of public economics. The basic income scheme is a quite radical proposal, affecting both social security and personal income taxation. It brings together consideration of tax reform — one of the leading policy topics of the 1980s — and of social security reform — which I suspect will be one of the key issues of the 1990s. It has generated interest in a number of countries. I have seen proposals for — among other countries — Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Eire, France, Italy, Netherlands, the UK, USA and West Germany.
KeywordsDepression Income Librium Sonal Milton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson, A. B (forthcoming) Lindahl Lectures (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Barry, B. (1973) The Liberal Theory of Justice (Oxford: Clarendon Press).Google Scholar
- Buchanan, J. M. and Tullock, G. (1962) The Calculus of Consent (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press).Google Scholar
- Dupuit, J. (1844) ‘De la Mesure de l’Utilité des Travaux Publics’ Annales des Ponts et Chaussees, 2nd series, vol. 8.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. (1962) Capitalism and Freedom (Chicago: University of Chicago Press).Google Scholar
- Greenwald, B. and Stiglitz, J. E. (1988) ‘Pareto Inefficiency of Market Economies: Search and Efficiency Wage Models’, American Economic Review, vol. 78, pp. 351–5.Google Scholar
- Heckman, J. J. (1976) ‘The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimation for Such Models’, Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, vol. 5, pp. 475–92.Google Scholar
- Kolm, S-Ch. (1985) Le Contrat Social Liberal (Paris: Presses Universitaires de France).Google Scholar
- Okun, A. M. (1975) Equality and Efficiency: The Big Trade-off (Washington, DC: The Brookings Institution).Google Scholar
- Rawls, J. (1971) A Theory of Justice (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- Rhys Williams, B. (1989) Stepping Stones to Independence: National Insurance after 1990 (Aberdeen: Aberdeen University Press).Google Scholar
- Sen, A. K. (1982) Choice, Welfare and Measurement (Oxford: Basil Black-well).Google Scholar