There are two essays by Kalecki explicitly dedicated to economic policy, and more particularly to the fiscal policy from a theoretical point of view: an article in the Economic Journal (September 1937) ‘A Theory of Commodity, Income and Capital Taxation’, and the 1944 essay ‘Three Ways to Full Employment’, in The Economies of Full Employment written in collaboration with other researchers of the Institute of Statistics of Oxford University. I would like to present a rapid synthesis of these two works, and then discuss two particular aspects: the modified profit and the wealth tax on the one hand, and the problem of the multiplicative effects of these taxes and Haavelmo’s theory, on the other. My conclusion highlights some observations on the role of fiscal policy in economic development as seen by Kalecki.
KeywordsInterest Rate Fiscal Policy Economic Journal Full Employment Balance Budget
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, R. G. D. (1959) Mathematical Economics, 2nd edn (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Baumol, W. J. (1970) Economic Dynamics, 3rd edn (London: Macmillan).Google Scholar
- Frisch, R. and H. Holme (1935) ‘The Characteristic Solutions of a Mixed Difference and Differential Equation Occurring in Economic Dynamics’, Econometrica, 3, pp. 225–39.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, R. M. (1956) ‘Review of Theory of Economic Dynamics’, Economic Journal, 66, pp. 507–10.Google Scholar
- Kalecki, M. (1935a) ‘A Macrodynamic Theory of Business Cycles’, Econ-ometrica, 3 (July) pp. 327–44.Google Scholar
- Kalecki, M. (1935b) ‘Essai d’une théorie du mouvement cyclique des affaires’, Revue d’Economie Politique, 49 (March—April) pp. 285–305.Google Scholar
- Kalecki, M. (1954) Theory of Economic Dynamics. An Essay on Cyclical and Long-Run Changes in Capitalist Economy (London: Allen & Unwin).Google Scholar
- Kalecki M. (1968) ‘Trend and Business Cycles Reconsidered’, Economic Journal, 78, pp. 263–76.Google Scholar
- Lucas, R. E. (1975) ‘An Equilibrium Model of the Business Cycle’, Journal of Political Economy, 83, pp. 1113–1144Google Scholar
- Malinvaud, E. (1980) Profitability and Unemployment (Cambridge: Cam-bridge University Press)Google Scholar
- Patinkin, D. (1976) ‘Keynes and Econometrics: On the Interaction Between the Macroeconomic Revolutions of the Interwar Period’, Econometrica, 44, pp. 1091–1123.Google Scholar
- Steindl, J. (1981) ‘Some Comments on the Three Versions of Kalecki’s Theory of the Trade Cycle’, in J. Los et al. (eds), Studies in Economic Theory and Practice (Amsterdam and New York: North-Holland).Google Scholar
- Velupillai, K. (1984) ‘Stability Properties of a Cyclical Model in Economics’, Florence (unpublished manuscript).Google Scholar