Helping a patient to understand diabetes
George Campford was admitted to hospital after metabolic control of his diabetes had not been achieved while he was being treated as an outpatient. He is frustrated and appears not to understand fully the management of his condition. Some nursing problems are outlined, together with their expected outcomes and interventions. The organisation of a teaching programme for Mr Campford and ideas on how to ensure that safe blood glucose levels are maintained for him are required; the answers appear at the end of the chapter.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binder, C., Lauritzen, T., Faber, O., and Pramming, S. (1984). Diabetes care. Insulin Pharmacokinetics, 7(2) 188–199.Google Scholar
- Cavalier, J. P. (1980). Crucial decisions in diabetic emergencies. Registered Nurse, 43, 32.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, D. W., and Guthrie, R. A. (1982). Nursing Management of Diabetes Mellitus, C. V. Mosby, St Louis, Missouri.Google Scholar
- Guyton, A. C. (1981). Textbook of Medical Physiology, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Marks, C. (1983). Teaching the diabetic patient. In: Wilson-Barnett, J. (ed), Patient Teaching, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Nutrition Sub-Committee of the Medical Advisory Committee of the British Diabetic Association (1982a). The role of the dietitian in the management of the diabetic. Human Nutrition: Applied Nutrition, 36A, 395–400.Google Scholar
- Nutrition Sub-Committee of the Medical Advisory Committee to the British Diabetic Association (1982b). Dietary recommendations for diabetics in the 1980s. A policy statement by the British Diabetic Association. Human Nutrition: Applied Nutrition, 36A, 138–141.Google Scholar
- Skodda, H., Warzecha, P., Mulhauser, I., Kemmer, F. W., and Jorgens, V. (1983). The quality of different insulin syringes. Diabetologia, 25, 194.Google Scholar
- Thatcher, G. (1985). Insulin injections. The case against random rotation. American Journal of Nursing, 6, 690–692.Google Scholar
- Wright, S., Morris, J. T., and Hartog, M. (1982). The accuracy of drawing up insulin by insulin-treated diabetics. Diabetes Metabolism, 8, 7–8.Google Scholar