Transitional Economic Policies, 1971–3
The purpose of this article is to present a brief description and an analysis of the evolution of the Argentine economy between June 1970 and May 1973, a transitional period which on the economic level falls between the anti-inflationary plans of Adalbert Krieger Vasena (1967–9) and José Gelbard (1973–4). Politically, the period includes the administrations of General Roberto M. Levingston and his successor, General Alejandro A. Lanusse; that is to say, it deals with the last stages of the military regime, the so-called Revolución Argentina (the Argentine Revolution), which ousted the constitutional government of Arturo Illia in June 1966. This period corresponds to the final stage of the Revolución Argentina, a period during which the political consensus and support of different economic sectors, initially offered to the first president General Juan Carlos Onganía, began to dissipate, especially as the March 1973 elections neared, thus limiting the decision-making power of the officials in the Economy Ministry.
KeywordsDepression Income Assure Expense Arena
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. M. Levingston, Mensaje a la nación Argentina, 23 June 1970 (Buenos Aires: Secretaría de la Presidencia, 1970).Google Scholar
- 4.J. C. Guglialmelli, 120 días en el gobierno (Buenos Aires: Editorial del Plata, 1970) about negotiations with Somisa on the prices of certain iron and steel prices.Google Scholar
- 5.Ferrer’s speech on 10 November 1970, La Nación (Buenos Aires).Google Scholar
- 6.R. M. Levingston, ‘El futuro argentino en la próxima década’, Estrategia, no. 55/56 (Buenos Aires) Nov.–Dec. 1978; and A. A. Lanusse, Mi Testimonio (Buenos Aires: Lasserre, 1977).Google Scholar
- 7.A. A. Lanusse, La Nación (Buenos Aires) 13 March 1972.Google Scholar
- 9.Speeches of Quilici, delivered on 15 July 1971, in the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange which appeared in La Nación (Buenos Aires) on 5 August 1971.Google Scholar
- 11.La Opinión (Buenos Aires) 2 Nov. 1972.Google Scholar
- 12.A. A. Lanusse, ‘Discurso del Presidente’, La Nación (Buenos Aires) 20 Sep. 1972.Google Scholar