This chapter examines cancer care in a European setting, focussing on the allocation of limited resources on the basis of what might be termed need rather than demand. As an example, the British expenditure on chemotherapy in cancer is on a per capita basis, reported to be only about one-fifth as much as in the USA , and such a finding makes one ask whether it results from different resource availability or from different treatment objectives in the two countries. In this respect the report quotes a British oncologist as saying that US doctors ‘confuse activity with progress’.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aaron, J. H. and Schwartz, W. B. (1984) The Painful Prescription, Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Abel-Smith, B. (1984) Cost Containment in Health Care, Occasional Papers on Social Administration, No. 73, Bedford Square Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Barer, M. L., Evans, R. G. and Stoddart, G. L. (1979) Controlling Health Care Costs by Direct Charges to Patients: Snare or Delusion? Ontario Economic Council Occasional paper 10, OEC, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Cohen, D. R. (1984) Economic Consequences of a Non-Smoking Generation, Health Economics Research Unit, Discussion Paper 06/84, University of Aberdeen, AberdeenGoogle Scholar
- Culyer, A. J., Maynard, A. and Williams, A. (1981) In: A New Approach to the Economics of Medical Care (Ed. M. Olson), American Enterprise Institute, Washington, D.C., pp. 131–148Google Scholar
- Drummond, M. F. (1980) Principles of Economic Appraisal in Health Care, Oxford Medical Publications, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Griffiths, A. (1982) Health economics and financing of health services. In: Health Services in Europe, WHO, Copenhagen, pp. 41–50Google Scholar
- Lindgren, B. (1981) Costs of Illness in Sweden, 1964–1975, Liber, LundGoogle Scholar
- McGuire, A., Henderson, J. and Mooney, G. (1987) The Economics of Health Care, An Introductory Text, Routledge and Kegan Paul, LondonGoogle Scholar
- OECD (1985) Measuring Health Care, 1960–1983, OECD, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Rutten, F. F. H. and van der Werff, A. (1982) In: The Public/Private Mix for Health (Eds. G. McLachlan and A. Maynard), Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust, London, pp. 167–206Google Scholar