Crisis Management by Crisis Prevention: Reducing Major Power Involvement in Third World Conflicts
Many proposals have come forth to ease the tension between East and West. Some focus on arms developments, others take up diplomatic issues. In addition, some have raised the question of crisis management and crisis prevention. Can crises be prevented even before they have taken place? The Palme Commission on Disarmament and Security suggested, in its 1982 report, ways of restraining superpower involvement in Third World conflicts. Such conflicts, it was argued, could escalate and ultimately result in nuclear confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union. Certainly, the commission also paid attention to conflicts over issues in Europe and to problems in Eastern or in Western Europe.
KeywordsEurope Transportation Expense Arena Argentina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blechman, B. M. and Kaplan, S. S., Force without War. U.S. Armed Forces as a Political Instrument ( Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1978 ).Google Scholar
- Frei, D. (ed.), Managing International Crisis, ( Beverly Hills: Sage, 1982 ).Google Scholar
- George, A. L. (ed.), Managing U.S.—Soviet Rivalry: Problems of Crisis Prevention ( Boulder, Co.: Westview Press, 1983 ).Google Scholar
- Hoffmann, S., Primacy or World Order. American Foreign Policy since the Cold War, ( New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill, 1978 ).Google Scholar
- Kaplan, S. S., Diplomacy of Power. Soviet Armed Forces as a Political Instrument ( Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- Keal, P., Unspoken Rules and Superpower Dominance ( London: Macmillan, 1983 ).Google Scholar
- Kissinger, H., For the Record. Selected Statements 1979–1980 ( Boston, Little, Brown: 1981 ).Google Scholar
- Matheson, N., The ‘Rules of the Game’of Superpower Military Intervention in the Third World 1975–1980 ( Washington, D.C.: University Press of America, 1982 ).Google Scholar
- Nincic, M., How War might spread to Europe, SIPRI ( London: Taylor & Francis, 1985 ).Google Scholar
- Wallensteen, P., American—Soviet Détente: What Went Wrong?, Journal of Peace Research, 1985: 1.Google Scholar