Elections under the Two-Party System: Electoral Trends 1966–78
This chapter examines the main features of the performance of the MDB in the elections held during the period of the two-party system. The first section provides basic information about the electoral system under which elections were held. In the second the electoral data will be analysed in order to explain the main trends in the electoral process from 1966 to 1978.
KeywordsIncome Assure Arena Defend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.PR is also used for elections to the State Assemblies and Municipal Chambers. This system has been used in Brazil since 1932, although several alterations have been made since. A study of the several electoral systems adopted in Brazil is found in Maria D’Alva G. Kinzo,Rep-resentação Politica e Sistema Eleitoral no Brasil (São Paulo, Editora Simbolo, 1980).Google Scholar
- 12.For an expanded discussion of this point see M. D. G. Kinzo, ‘An Opposition Party in an Authoritarian Regime: the Case of the MDB (Movimento Democratico Brasileiro) in Brazil, 1966–1979’ (D. Phil Dissertation, University of Oxford, 1985); and A. M. Carstairs, A Short History of Electoral System in Western Europe (London: George Allen & Unwin, 1980), Chapter 2.Google Scholar
- 13.For a full discussion of this problem and its political implications see M. D. G. Kinzo, ‘An Opposition Party in an Authoritarian Regime’; and Representação Politica e Sistema Eleitoral no Brasil (São Paulo: Simbolo, 1980)Google Scholar
- Glaucio A. D. Soares, ‘El Sistema Electoral y Representación de los Grupos Sociales en Brasil, 1945–1962’, Revista Latinoamericana de Ciência Politica, vol. 2, no. 1, (1971) pp. 5–23.Google Scholar
- 15.Paul Singer, ‘A Politica das Classes Dominantes’, in Octavio Ianni et al, Politica e Revolução Social no Brasil. (Rio de Janeiro: Civilização Brasileira, 1965), p. 91.Google Scholar
- 22.Fabio W. Reis, ‘Classe Social e Opção Partidária: As Eleiçōes de 1976 em Juiz de Fora’, in F.W. Reis (org), Os Partidos e o Regime — A lógica do processo eleitoral Brasileiro, (São Paulo, Editora Simbolo, 1978), p. 217.Google Scholar
- 25.Bolivar Lamounier, ‘O Voto em São Paulo, 1970–1978’, in B. Lamounier, O Voto de Desconfiança — Eleiçōes e Mundança Politica no Brasil, 1970–1979 (Petropolis: Vozes/Cebrap, 1980).Google Scholar