Housing and the State: The Responsibilities of Government
The object of this short paper is to discuss the role of the State in the field of housing, to show how complex are the ramifications of ‘the housing problem’, and to analyse a few of the significant economic issues related to housing policy. Obviously in a short paper the discussion must be highly selective and illustrative rather than comprehensive. This would be the case even if attention were restricted to one country: it must be very much more so when one ranges over a large number of countries at different levels of economic development and with different political and economic systems.
KeywordsLower Income Group Housing Policy Residential Mobility Building Industry Housing Programme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Economic Commission for Europe, Financing of Housing in Europe, United Nations, Geneva, 1958.Google Scholar
- 2.See Economic Commission for Europe, Cost Repetition and Maintenance: Related Aspects of Building Prices, United Nations, Geneva, 1963.Google Scholar
- 6.Milton Gilbert et al.: Comparative National Products and Price Levels, OEEC, Paris, 1958.Google Scholar
- 1.For research evidence on these questions see J. B. Cullingworth, Housing in Transition, Heinemann, 1963, and Trends in English Housing, 1965; A. A. Nevitt, Housing, Taxation and Subsidies (Nelson, 1966); City of New York City Rent and Rehabilitation Administration, People, Housing and Rent Control in New York City, 1964; D. V. Donnison, C. Cockburn, and T. Corlett, Housing Since The Rent Act, Occasional Papers in Social Administration, No. 3, Codicote Press, Welwyn, 1961; P. G. Gray and E. Parr, Rent Act 1957: Report of Inquiry, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, London (Cmnd. 1246), 1960.Google Scholar
- 2.Cf. R. U. Ratcliffe, Urban Land Economics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1949, pp. 321–2; E. M. Fisher and L. B. Winnick, ‘A Reformation of the Filtering Concept’, Journal of Social Issues, Vol. VII, 1951, pp. 47–85; I. S. Lowry, ‘Filtering and Housing Standards’, Land Economics, Vol. XXXVI, 1960, pp. 362–70; W. G. Grigsby, Housing Markets and Public Policy, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1963, chapter 3.Google Scholar