Regulation of intracellular enzyme proteolysis by small-molecule cofactors
For the past five years our laboratory has studied the regulation of synthesis and degradation of phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase, dopamine β-hydroxylase, and hydroxyindole O-methyltransferase, three enzymes involved in biogenic amine metabolism. Certain features of the regulation of these enzymes have been strikingly similar, despite the different metabolic functions they carry out. This has led us to speculate about common modes of turnover regulation which the enzymes might share.
KeywordsIntracellular Protease Ornithine Aminotransferase Enzyme Proteolysis Adrenal Glucocorticoid Proteolytic Breakdown
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aunis, D., Allard, D., Miras-Portugal, M-T, and Mandel, P. (1975). Bovine adrenal medullary chromogranin A: studies on the structure and further evidence for identity with dopamine β-hydroxylase subunit. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 393, 284–295.Google Scholar
- Berenbeim, D.M., Wong, D.L., Masover, S.J. and Ciaranello, R.D. (1979). Regulation of synthesis and degradation of rat adrenal phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. III. Mol. Pharmacol. 16 (2), 482–490.Google Scholar
- Bond, J.S. (1975). Correlations Between in Vivo Turnover and in Vitro Inactivation of Rat Liver Enzymes, In Intracellular Protein Turnover (Schimke, R.T. and Katunuma, N.E. eds) pp. 281–294, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Dunaway, G.A., Leung, G., Thasher, J.R. and Cooper, M. (1978). J. Biol. Cnem. 253, 7460–7463.Google Scholar
- Katumuma, N., Kominami, E., Kibayashi, K., Homoguchi, Y., Banno, Y., Chichibu, K., Katunuma, T., and Shiotani, T. (1975). Initiating mechanisms of intracellular proteases in various organs, In Intracellular Protein Turnover (Schimke R.J. and Katunuma T (eds), pp. 187–204. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Matsuzawa T. (1975). Molecular basis of proteolytic susceptibility of ornithine δ-aminotransferase, In Intracellular Protein Turnover (Schimke, R.T. and Katunuma T., eds), pp. 205–206.Google Scholar
- Schimke, R.T. (1975). On The Properties and Mechanisms of Protein Turnover, In Intracellular Protein Turnover (Schimke, R.T. and Katunuma, N.E. eds) pp. 173–186, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar