Basic Current Evidence for the Use of Drugs to Both Prevent and Treat Patients with Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism
This paper will largely be devoted to the role of platelet suppressant agents in the prophylaxis of venous thrombosis in surgical patients. It is worth pointing out, however, that the universal interest in prevention and in acute thrombosis sometimes obscures the fact that venous disease offers a number of other areas of therapeutic challenge. These include the prevention of recurring thrombotic and/or embolic episodes, the avoidance or the amelioration of the post-thrombotic syndrome — a largely neglected disorder — and the need to prevent thrombosis after venous reconstruction, perhaps the most difficult area of all. Whether agents which interfere with the interaction between blood cells and vessel wall have a part to play in any or all of these situations is as yet far from clear.
KeywordsPlacebo Aspirin Heparin Warfarin Stein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harris, W. H., Salzmann, E. W., Athanasoulis, C., Waltman, A. C., Baum, S. & de Sanctis, R. W. (1974). Comparison of warfarin, low-molecular-weight dextran, aspirin and subcutaneous heparin in prevention of venous thromboembolism following total hip replacement. J. Bone Joint Surg., 56, 1552–1562.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hume, M., Donaldson, W. R. & Supprenant, J. (1978). Sex, aspirin and venous thrombosis. Orth. Clin. N. Am., 9, 761–767.Google Scholar
- Malone, P. C., Hamer, J. D. & Silver, I. A. (1979). Oxygen tension in venous valve pockets. Abstracts VII Int Congress on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. In Thrombosis and Haemostasis, pp. 230. Stuttgart: Schatlauer Verlag.Google Scholar
- MRC Steering Committee (1972). Effect of aspirin on post-operative venous thrombosis. Lancet, 2, 441–444.Google Scholar
- Paterson, J. C. (1969). The pathology of venous thrombi. In Thrombosis. ed. Sherry, S., pp. 321, Washington D.C.: Nat. Acad. Sci.Google Scholar
- Rogers, P. H., Walsh, P. N., Marder, V. J., Bazak, G. C., Lachman, J. W., Ritchie, W. G. M., Oppenheimer, L. & Sherry, S. (1978). Controlled trial of low-dose heparin and sulphinpyrazone to prevent venous thromboembolism after operation on the hip. J. Bone int. Surg., 66, 758–762.Google Scholar
- Salzman, E. W. & Harris, W. H. (1976). Prevention of venous thromboembolism in orthopaedic patients. J. Bone int. Surg., 58, 903–913.Google Scholar
- Welch, W. G. (1887). The structure of white thrombi. Trans. Path. Soc. Philadelphia, 13, 281–285.Google Scholar
- Wu, A. & Mansfield, A. O. (1980). The morphological changes of the endothelium to venous stasis as observed under the scanning electron microscope. J. Cardiovas. Surg., 21, 193–196.Google Scholar