Cardiovascular effects of the tricyclic antidepressants: implications for new research
In the preceding chapter, Dr Burrows and his colleagues have reviewed the usual cardiovascular effects of tricyclic antidepressants (TCA). We would like now to focus in greater detail on several cardiovascular effects which are clinically important but have, until recently, been poorly understood. The specific effects we will review are the antiarrhythmic properties of tricyclic compounds, their effect on left ventricular performance, and their propensity to produce orthostatic hypotension. We will discuss why these effects have been poorly understood for so long and will review the implications of these effects on the clinical use of TCA and on our understanding of the basic pharmacology of these drugs.
KeywordsAntiarrhythmic Drug Antiarrhythmic Effect Left Ventricular Performance Systolic Time Interval Tricyclic Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Giardina, E. G. et al., (1981). Ann. Cardiol., submittedGoogle Scholar
- Hoffman, B. F. and Bigger, J. T., Jr (1971). Antiarrhythmic drugs. In Drill’s Pharmacology in Medicine, 4th edn (ed. J. R. DiPalma), McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 824–52Google Scholar
- Lecrubier, Y., Allilaire, J. F., Puech, A., Simon, P. and Des Lauriers, A. (1980). Yohimbine antagonism of clomipramine-induced orthostatic hypotension. In Abstracts of the 12th CINP Congress, Supplement to Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology, An International Research and Review Journal, Pergamon Press, New York, 1980, p. 220Google Scholar
- Moccetti, T., Lichtlen, P., Albert, H., Meier, E. and Imbach, P. (1971). Kardiotoxizität der trizyklischen Antidepressiva. Schweiz, med. Wschr., 101,1Google Scholar
- Müller, V. and Burckhardt, D. (1974). Die Wirkung tri- und tetrazyklischer Antidepressiva auf Herz und Kreislauf. Schweiz, med. Wschr., 104, 1911–3Google Scholar
- Rawling, D. A. and Fozzard, H. A. (1979). Effects of imipramine on cellular electrophysiological properties of cardiac Purkinje fibers. J. Pharmac exp. Ther., 209, 371–5Google Scholar
- Roose, S., Glassman, A. H., Siris, S. and Bruno, R. (1980). TCA-induced postural hypotension; comparative studies. Scientific Proceedings of Supplemental Program, American Psychiatric Association, May, 1980Google Scholar
- Wilkerson, R. D. (1978). Antiarrhythmic effects of tricyclic antidepressant drugs in ouabain-induced arrhythmias in the dog. J. Pharmac. exp. Ther., 205, 666–74Google Scholar