The Effect of Roll Wear on the Profile and the Mechanical Properties of Cold Rolled Steel Strips
The influence of roll wear on the profile and the mechanical properties of hot and cold rolled steel strips was investigated.
Low carbon steel slabs were rolled on a hot strip mill to coils 3 mm thick using new and worn rolls. The coils were cold rolled on a reversing mill to final thicknesses of 1.5, 1.25 and 1 mm, thus giving reductions of 50 %, 58 % and 67 % respectively. The conditions of the rolls were varying from new rolls to worn rolls. The thickness of the strips as well as the mechanical properties were measured across the width of the strips. Conclusions regarding the effect of roll wear conditions on the strip profile and the mechanical properties across the width of the strip were drawn out.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1-.J.G. SIBAKIN et al. (1959) ‘Factors Affecting Strip Profile In Cold and Hot Strip Mill’ Flat Rolled Products 1, Interscience, New York P.3Google Scholar
- 2-.G.P. BERNSMANN (1972) ‘Lateral Material Flow During Cold Rolling of Strip’ Iron and Steel Engineer, 3, P. 67Google Scholar
- 3-.K. SAXL (1958) ‘Transverse Gauge Variation In Strip and Sheet Rolling’ Proc. Instn. Mech. Engs. P. 727Google Scholar
- 4-.O. PAWELSKI (1964) Investigation of The Coefficent Of Friction in Metal Forming, Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs, 179 Pt 3 D P. 80Google Scholar
- 5-.C.W. SPARLING (1962) ‘The Theory and Practice of Flat Rolling’, London Univ. Press P. 162Google Scholar
- 6-.G. SACHS et al. (1961) ‘Roll Wear in Finishing Trains of Hot Strip Mills’ Iron and Steel Engineer. P. 1015Google Scholar
- 7-.G. R. CHRISTOPH and J. G. GRIFFEN (1959) ‘Influence of Hot Strip Profile on Subsequent Operations’ Flat Rolled Products 1, Interscience New York P. 47Google Scholar
- 8-.P. ROCQUET et al. (1964) ‘Study of The Origin of Ridges Occuring During Cold Rolling’ Procd. Metallurgical Society Conference. Chicago Illinois P. 401Google Scholar
- 9-.D. T. GOETTGE and E. L. ROBINSON (1956) ‘Some Effects of Hot Strip Mill Temeratures On Properties of Low Carbon Sheet Coils’ J. of Metals P. 1169Google Scholar
- 10-.W.E. DUCKWORTH and J.D. BAIRD (1969) ‘Mild Steels’, J. of The Iron and Steel Inst. June, P. 854Google Scholar