A Plane-Strain Analogue for the Extrusion of Sintered Billets
A model study has been initiated. The model specimen involved two identical blocks made of bees wax and having transverse little holes which were thoroughly distributed all over each block. The model specimens were subjected to plane strain extrusion through wedge shaped dies for a range of extrusion ratios and different die angles.
The model specimen has been found to accurately simulate the densification and deformation behaviour of actual sintered billets subjected to hot extrusion. The density distribution, the mechanics of densification and deformation and the soundness of the extrudates were investigated.
KeywordsReduction Ratio Model Specimen Piston Displacement Central Burst High Reduction Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T.Sheepard (1975), The Production of Extruded Material from Metal Powder, Proc. 15 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf., Macmillan Press, p. 659.Google Scholar
- 2.S. El Wakil and A. S. El Sabbagh (1977), Properties of Extruded Composite Al-Cu Mixtures, Proc. 18 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf. Imperial College of Science and Technology, London, p. 69.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Singh and R. Davies (1973), Preliminary Investigations of the Cold Extrusion of Powder Preforms, Proc. 13 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf. Macmillan Press, p. 449.Google Scholar
- 4.M.Negm and R. Davies (1975), The Hot Extrusion of Metal Powder Preforms, Proc. 15 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf., Macmillan Press, p. 637.Google Scholar
- 5.S. El Wakil (1972), High Speed Compaction of Metal Powders, Ph. D. Thesis Birmingham University.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Halling and L. A. Mitchell (1964) An Experimental Study of Symmetrical Extrusion Using Paraffin Wax as a Model Material, Proc. 5 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf. Pergamon Press, p. 353.Google Scholar
- 7.W. Johnson and H. Kudo (1962), The Mechanics of Metal Extrusion, Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Singh, T. A. Dean and R. Davies (1972), The Effect of Temperature and Speed on the Warm Extrusion of Steel, Proc. 13 th Int. Mach. Tool Des. Res. Conf., Macmillan Press, p. 351.Google Scholar