Chemical Markers in Spinal Fluid for Tumours of the Central Nervous System (CNS)
Until recently the accurate diagnosis and assessment of malignant disease in the central nervous system (CNS) has been costly and time-consuming. The advent of computerised axial tomography (CT scanning) has resulted in a major change in policy in many neurological units, but the technique is not yet generally available. Moreover, and in common with most other methods of diagnosis, CT scanning is limited by its inability to reflect the degree of viability of the solid or fluid lesions which are visualised.
KeywordsBrain Metastasis Pituitary Tumour Primary Brain Tumour Cerebral Metastasis Triose Phosphate Isomerase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagshawe, K. D. (1977). In G. Mathe (ed), Treatment of trophoblastic tumours. Recent Results in Cancer Research p. 192. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Barone, A. (1948). L’attivita lisozimica attuale del liquor nelle malatti nervose. Acta Neurol. Italia, 3, 434.Google Scholar
- Dude, B. G. M., Salmon, S. E. and Russell, D. H. (1977). Polyamines as markers of response and disease activity in cancer chemotherapy. Cancer Res., 37, 214.Google Scholar
- Newlands, E. S., Dent, J., Kardana, A., Searle, F. and Bagshawe, K. D. (1976). Serum alpha-fetoprotein and H. C. G. in patients with testicular tumours. Lancet, ii, 744.Google Scholar
- Ronquist, G., Frithz, G., Ericsson, P. and Hugosson, R. (1977). Malignant brain tumours associated with adenylate kinase in cerebrospinal fluid. Lancet, i, 1284.Google Scholar
- Ruoslahti, E. and Seppala, M. (1972). Alpha-fetoprotein in normal human serum.Nature, 235, 161.Google Scholar
- Stiffel, M., Dittmann, J., Faulhauer, K. and Loew, F. (1973). Enzymes in cerebrospinal fluid in normal samples, samples from patients with brain tumours, and other neurological diseases. Wien Z. Nervenheilkd., 31, 325.Google Scholar
- Weiss, R. R., Macri, J. M. and Elligers, K.W. (1976). Origin of amniotic fluid alpha-fetoprotein in normal and defective pregnancies. Obst. Gynec., 47, 697.Google Scholar