Drug metabolism and pharmacokinetic studies in man utilising nitrogen-15- and deuterium-labelled drugs: the metabolic fate of cinoxacin and the metabolism and pharmacokinetics of propoxyphene
During the past several years, stable isotope utilisation has entered explosively into the clinical pharmacology laboratory for two major reasons: (1) the development of relatively simple, reliable instrumentation for gas chromatography—mass spectrometry (GC—MS) and (2) the availability of highly enriched stable-isotope-labelled starting materials. The techniques involved in mass spectrometry have been reviewed (Haet al., 1969; Gordon and Frigerio, 1972; Finnigan et al., 1974), as have the chemical aspects of stable isotope use (McCloskey, 1975). These reviews only scratch the surface of an enormous body of literature. Our application of these techniques to problems in clinical pharmacology forms the basis of this presentation as an encouragement to others.
KeywordsStable Isotope Deuterium Atom Elution Position Mass Fragmentography Chemical Ionisation Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Finnigan, R. E., Knight, J. B., Fies, W. F. and DeGragnano, V. L. (1974). Mass Spectrometry in Biochemistry and Medicine (ed. A. Frigerio and N. Castagnoli, Jr.), Raven Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Hammar, C.-G., Holmstedt, B., Lindgren, J.-E. and Tham, R. (1969). Adv. Pharmacol. Chemother., 7Google Scholar
- Kaul, A. F. and Harsfield, J. C. (1976). DrugIntell. Clin. Pharm., 10, 53Google Scholar
- McCloskey, J. A. (1975). Selected Approaches to Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry in Laboratory Medicine (ed. R. S. Melville and V. F. Dobson), US Government Printing Office, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Murphy, P. J., Nickander, R. C., Bellamy, G. M. and Kurtz, W. L. (1976). J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 199, 415Google Scholar
- Perrier, D. and Gibaldi, M. (1972). J. Clin. Pharmacol., 12, 449Google Scholar
- Scott, C. D. (1968). Clin. Chem., 14, 521Google Scholar
- Wolen, R. L., Ziege, E. A. and Gruber, C. M., Jr. (1975). Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 17, 15Google Scholar