Economic Policy in a Small Economy
General principles sometimes seem trite once they are properly articulated. Often, indeed, they govern our work long before they are recognised explicitly. Once discovered, however, they unify our understanding of specific instances and grant access to problems that had been intractable. Tinbergen’s analysis of economic policy is a major case in point . Like the basic law of supply and demand, the principle was used before it had been formulated, and one prime application was international. As Mill had used the law of supply and demand to show how the terms of trade are determined , so Meade had discovered the need for separate instruments equal in number to one’s policy targets in his pioneering work on the Balance of Payments . But the formal and general articulation of Tinbergen’s ‘rule’ placed Meade’s contribution in broader context.
KeywordsIncome Rium Oates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mathies ON, D., Portfolio Balance in International Finance. Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation; Stanford University, 1970.Google Scholar
- Mckinnon, R. I. and Oates, W. E., ‘The Implications of International Economic Integration for Monetary, Fiscal and Exchange Rate Policy’, Princeton Studies in International Finance, No. 16, March, 1966.Google Scholar
- Meade, James E., The Theory of International Economic Policy, Vol. I. London, New York: Oxford University Press, 1951.Google Scholar
- Mill, John S., Essays on Some Unsettled Questions in Political Economy. London: Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1874. (Reprinted 1968 by A. M. Kelley, New York.)Google Scholar
- Sohmen, Egon, ‘Fiscal and Monetary Policies under Alternative Exchange Rate Systems’, Quarterly Journal of Economics, lxxxi, (August 1968) 515–523.Google Scholar
- Tinbergen, Jan, On the Theory of Economic Policy, Amsterdam: Elsevier, North Holland, 1952.Google Scholar
- Whitman, M. Von Neumann, ‘Policies for Internal and External Balance’, Princeton Special Papers in International Economics, No. 9, December 1970.Google Scholar