The Difference Diversity Makes: A Principle, a Lens, an Empirical Attribute for Majority-Minority Relations
This chapter explores the contribution of diversity, as a concept and a research optic, to the debate on immigrant incorporation and majority-minority relations in Europe. While the use of this term abounds in the recent literature, its meaning often sounds unduly self-evident, as if it were a principle in its own right. There is still little reflection on the variety of stances and interests which underlie it at a number of levels: as an approach to interethnic relations, an empirical attribute, a (potential) new mode of immigrant incorporation or even a more fashionable synonym for multiculturalism, apparently less burdened with ideological and normative implications.
KeywordsDifference Diversity Migration Study Normative Implication Policy Provision Empirical Attribute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Entzinger, H. (2005). Multiculturalism revisited. In E. Ben Rafael, & Y. Sternberg (Eds.), Comparing Modernities (pp. 191–204). Leiden: Brill.Google Scholar
- Fanshawe, F., & Sriskandarajah, D. (2010). “You Can’t Put Me in a Box”. Super-Diversity and the End of Identity Politics in Britain. London: IPPR.Google Scholar
- Knotter, S., De Lobel, R., Tsipouri, L., & Stenius, V. (Eds.) (2011). Diversity Research and Policy. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.Google Scholar
- Lentin, A., & Titley, G. (2008). More Benetton than barricades? The politics of diversity in Europe. In A. Lentin, & G. Titley (Eds.), The Politics of Diversity in Europe (pp. 9–30). Strasbourg: Council of Europe.Google Scholar
- Levitt, P., & Glick-Schiller, N. (2004). Conceptualizing simultaneity. International Migration Review, 37(3), 1002–1039.Google Scholar
- Qin, J., Muenjohn, N., & Cheatri, P. (2013). A review of diversity conceptualizations. Human Resource Development Review, 20(10), 1–25.Google Scholar
- Vertovec, S., & Wessendorf, S. (Eds.) (2010). The Multiculturalism Backlash. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Wise, A., & Velayutham, S. (Eds.) (2009). Everyday Multiculturalism, Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Wood, P. (2003). Diversity. San Francisco: Encounter Books.Google Scholar
- Wrench, J. (2007). Diversity Management and Discrimination. Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar