Metadata Application Profile for Agricultural Learning Resources
Capacity and institution building is a core function of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO). FAO has recently started the “Capacity and Institution Building Portal” to provide structured access to information on FAO's capacity and institution building services and learning resources. To ensure that the Portal can be searched by users and to enable interoperability with other recognized educational repositories, an ApplicationProfile (AP) was created conforming to available and commonly used standards, to describe agricultural learning resources. This article presents the AP, provides an example of an FAO learning resource described and displayed using FAO Learning Resource AP, and presents the lessons learned.
KeywordsStructure Access Learn Resource Institution Building Metadata Record Application Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.59/250. Triennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system [59/250]. United Nations General Assembly: Resolution adopted by the General Assembly [on the report of the Second Committee (A/59/488/Add.1)] (2005). http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N04/491/26/PDF/N0449126.pdf
- 2.Friesen, N.: Connecting Collections: An overview of approaches (2006) http://www.cancore.ca/protocols_en.html
- 3.Friesen, N.: Editorial — A Gentle Introduction to Technical E-learning Standards. In: Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology. Volume 30(3) (2004) http://www.cjlt.ca/content/vol30.3/normeditorial.html
- 4.ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36: Working Draft for ISO/IEC 19788-2 — Metadata for Learning Resources — Part 2: Data Elements (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36: Final Report on the “International LOM Survey” (2004) http://jtc1sc36.org/doc/36N0871.pdf
- 6.Tzikopoulos, N. Manouselis, R. Vuorikari: An Overview of Learning Object Repositories. In: Northrup, P. (ed): Learning Objects for Instruction: Design and Evaluation. Idea Group Publishing, 2007 (accepted)Google Scholar
- 7.Salokhe, G., Weinheimer, J., Bovo, M.G., Agrimi, M: Structured Metadata for Direct Resource Location: A Case Study (2003). http://www.siderean.com/dc2003/404_Paper84-color.pdf