Development of 3D GIS Modeling Technology
Recent researches on Three-dimensional Geographic Information System (3D GIS) modeling technology were reviewed. The concept of 3D GIS modeling and its application in various fields were introduced. Essential techniques to realize 3D visualization were studied. A typical 3D GIS modeling usually contains the description and the transmission of GIS spatial data structure. GIS spatial data models were described and species of 3D GIS models were summarized. Current algorithms for transmitting data to 3D models were compared and analyzed.
Keywords3D GIS modeling visualization review 3D models
- Chen Lichao, Zhang Yongmei, Liu Yushu and Zhang Jianhua, 3D Spatial Data Models of GIS Based on Grid. Computer Engineering, Vol. 30 No. 8 (2004).Google Scholar
- Shinji Araya, Jin Hyunsuk and Ryo Araya. An Effective Terrain Model for Web-Based 3D Geographic Information Systems. Electronics and Communications in Japan Part 2, Vol. 85 No. 9 (2002).Google Scholar
- Elizabeth Burson. Modeling Unordered Point Data for 3D GIS Mapping - approaches for improved usability and accuracy. charlotte .utdallas edu/mgis/ prj_mstrs/2003/03_burson/ EBurson_Masters.pdf, (2003).Google Scholar
- Zhang Jing and Zhang Zhengrong. 3D Visualization about Urban GIS. www.china-simulation.com/esite/preview/0312.htm, Vol. 15 No. 12 (2003).
- Kolbe T. H. and Groger G. Towards Unified 3D City Models. http://www.iuw.univechta,de/personal/geoinf/jochen/papers/28.pdf,de/personal/geoinf/jochen/papers/28.pdf, (2003).
- Zhu Qing, Lu Dandan and Zhang Yeting. Application of 3DGIS in digital cultural heritage. Science of Surveying and Mapping, Vol. 131 No. 11 (2006).Google Scholar
- Zhu Qing, Gao Yurong, Wei Yongjun and Huang Duo. Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University, Vol. 28 No. 3 (2003).Google Scholar
- Wei Yongjun. The Study of 3D Model Theory and Method. Zhengzhou (2000).Google Scholar
- Ranzinger M. and Gleixner G. GIS Datasets for 3D Urban Planning. Computer, Environ and Urban Systems, Vol. 21 No. 2 159-173 (1997).Google Scholar
- Wu Xincai. Principles and Methods of Geography Information Systems. Beijing, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 224-226 (2002).Google Scholar