Multicast in Mobile ad hoc Networks
Multicast is a very efficient technology in one-to-many communication scenarios. With the popularity of mobile devices, and demanding group information exchange, multicast in mobile ad hoc networks attracts much research attention. This paper reviews the state-of-art multicast protocols and classifies them into two categories: tree-based and mesh-based. We review one classic protocol closely for each category and briefly describe others. Then some open problems were discussed such as scalability and reliability.
Keywordsad hoc Networks Multicast MAODV ODMRP
- S. Corson, J. Macker, available online: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2501.txt, 1999.
- E.M. Royer, C.E. Perkins, Multicast Operation of the ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector Routing Protocol, ACM MOBICOM, Aug.1999.Google Scholar
- Y.J. Yi, X.Y. Hong and M. Gerla, Scal able Team Multicast in Wireless Ad hoc Networks, available online: http://www.cs.ucla.edu/NRL/wireless/uploads/ngc-yjyi.pdf.
- C.W. Wu, Y.C. Tay, and C.K. Toh, ad hoc Multicast Routing Protocol Utilizing Increasing ID Numbers, Internet draft, 1998 (Working in progress).Google Scholar
- C.K. Toh, G. Guichal, and S. Bunchua, ABAM: On-Demand Associativity-Based Multicast Routing for ad hoc Mobile Networks, Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 987-993, 2000.Google Scholar
- J.G. Jetcheva, D.B. Johnson, Adaptive demand-driven multicast routing in multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks, MobiHoc 2001, pp. 33-44.Google Scholar
- H. Dhillon, H.Q. Ngo, CQMP: A Mesh-based Multicast Routing Protocol with Consolidated Query Packets, Proceedings of IEEE WCNC’2005.Google Scholar
- S.J. Lee, W. Su, M. Gerla, On-demand multicast routing protocol in multihop wireless mobile networks, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Mobile Networks and Applications 7, Issue 6, 2002.Google Scholar
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, E.L. Madruga, The Core-Assisted Mesh Protocol, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 17, no. 8, AUGUST 1999.Google Scholar
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, E.L. Madruga, A Multicast Routing Protocol for ad hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 1999.Google Scholar
- R. Vaishampayan, J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, Efficient and Robust Multicast Routing in Mobile ad hoc Networks, IEEE MASS 2004.Google Scholar
- C. Gui, P. Mohapatra, Scalable Multicasting in Mobile ad hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2004.Google Scholar
- J. Luo, P. Th. Eugster, J.P. Hubaux, Route Driven Gossip: Probabilistic Reliable Multicast in ad hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2003 .Google Scholar
- S.E. Deering, D.R. Cheriton, Multicast routing in Datagram Internet works and Extended LANs, ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 8, no. 2, 1990.Google Scholar
- J. Moy, Multicast routing extensions for OSPF, communications of the ACM, Vol. 37, no. 8, 1994 .Google Scholar
- S.E. Deering, D.L. Estrin,etc, The PIM architecture for wide-area multicast routing, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 4, no. 2, 1996.Google Scholar
- S.J. Lee, M. Gerla, etc, On-demand multicast routing protocols, Proceedings of IEEE WCNC 1999.Google Scholar
- S. Floyd, V. Jacobson, C.G. Liu, S. McCanne, L. Zhang, A reliable multicast framework for light-weight sessions and application level framing, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 1997.Google Scholar
- S. Paul, K.K. Sabnani, J.C.H. Lin, S. Bhattacharyya, Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol (RMTP), IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Lundgren, D. Lundberg, J. Nielsen, etc, A Large-scale Testbed for Reproducible ad hoc Protocol Evaluations, Proceedings of 3rd annual IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2002).Google Scholar