Sensors for Critical Path Monitoring
- 717 Downloads
Variability and Its Impact on Timing
Modern processes are becoming more sensitive to noise . In addition to technology parameters having larger variation with each new technology generation , , timing sensitivity to such environmental conditions as temperature , , aging , workload , , cross-talk noise in wires , NBTI , and many other effects is increasing.
Noise processes that effect timing are described as random or systematic, and they are measured from die to die and within die , . Random noise is less dependent on the integrated circuit’s design than systematic noise and it is characterized by a number of statistics such as its mean and standard deviation. Systematic noise results from characteristics of the manufacturing process or from the physical design and can be predicted once the underlying process causing the variation is understood. For example, the wire thickness in technologies that use copper metallization is dependent on...
- K. Agarwal and S. Nassif, “Characterizing Process Variation in Nanometer CMOS,” DAC, 4–8 June 2007, pp. 396–399.Google Scholar
- J. Blome, S. Feng, S. Gupta, and S. Mahlke, “Self-Calibrating Online Wearout Detection,” MICRO, 1–5 Dec 2007.Google Scholar
- S. Borkar, T. Karnik, S. Narendra, J. Tschanz, A. Keshavarzi, and V. De, “Parameter Variations and Impact on Circuits and Microarchitecture,” DAC, 2–6 June 2003, pp. 338–342.Google Scholar
- K. Bowman, S. Samaan, and N. Hakim, “Maximum Clock Frequency Distribution Model with Practical VLSI Design Considerations,” Integrated Circuit Design and Technology, 17–20 May 2004, pp. 183–191.Google Scholar
- Cool ‘n’ Quiet Technology Installation Guide for AMD Athlon 64 Processor Based Systems. AMD, Corp. CA [Online] 0.04, 2004, June. www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_ Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf.
- A. Drake, (2005), Power Reduction in Digital Systems Through Local Resonant Clocking and Dynamic Threshold MOS, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Michigan.Google Scholar
- A. Drake, R. Senger, H. Deogun, G. Carpenter, S. Ghiasi, T. Nguyen, N. James, M. Floyd, and V. Pokala, “A Distributed Critical-Path Monitor for a 65 nm High-Performance Microprocessor,” ISSCC, 11–15 Feb 2007, pp. 398–399.Google Scholar
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology for the Intel Pentium M Processor, Order No. 301170-001. Intel, Corp. OR. [Online]. 2004, March. www.intel.com/ technology/silicon/power/chipdesign.htm.
- M. Ershov, S. Saxena, H. Karbasi, S. Winters, S. Minehane, J. Babcock, R. Lindley, P. Clifton, M. Redford, and A. Shibkov, “Dynamic Recovery of Negative Bias Temperature Instability in p-type Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 8, 25 Aug 2003, pp. 1647–1649.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R. Ho, K. Mai, and M. Horowitz, “The Future of Wires,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 89, no. 4, April 2001, pp. 490–504.Google Scholar
- R. Ho, K. Mai, and M. Horowitz, “Managing Wire Scaling: A Circuit Perspective,” International Technology Conference, 2–4 June 2003, pp. 177–179.Google Scholar
- N. James, P. Restle, J. Friedrich, B. Huott, and B. McCredie, “Comparison of Split-Versus Connected-Core Supplies in the POWER6 Microprocessor,” ISSCC, 11–15 Feb 2007, pp. 298–604.Google Scholar
- V. Mehrotra, S. L. Sam, D. Boning, A. Chandrakasan, R. Vallishayee, and S. Nassif, “A Methodology for Modeling the Effects of Systematic Within-Die Interconnect and Device Variation on Circuit Performance,” DAC, 5–9 June 2000, pp. 172–175.Google Scholar
- S. Nassif, “Delay Variability: Sources, Impacts and Trends,” ISSCC, 7–9 Feb 2000, pp. 368–369.Google Scholar
- B. Razavi, Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits, McGraw Hill, Boston, 2001, pp. 550–556.Google Scholar
- P. Restle, R. Frach, N. James, W. Huott, T. Skergan, S. Wilson, N. Schwartz, and J. Clabes, “Timing Uncertainty Measurements on the Power5 Microprocessor,” ISSCC, 15–19 Feb 2004, pp. 354–355.Google Scholar
- S. Samaan, “The Impact of Device Parameter Variations on the Frequency and Performance of VLSI Chips,” ICCAD, 7–11 Nov 2004, pp. 343–346.Google Scholar
- A. Strak and H. Tenhunen, “Investigation of Timing Jitter in NAND and NOR Gates Induced by Power-Supply Noise,” ICECS, 10–13 Dec 2006, pp. 1160–1163.Google Scholar
- H. Su, F. Liu, A. Devgan, E. Acar, and S. Nassif, “Full Chip Leakage-Estimation Considering Power Supply and Temperature Variations,” ISLPED, 25–27 Aug 2003, pp. 78–83.Google Scholar