Evolution of Athletic Footwear
Shoes are vital to man’s sole. It is no secret that feet manage the challenges of daily life with the help of shoes. Shoes can stabilize, allow for flexibility or rigidity, cushion, and, in some cases, even injure feet. With the evolution of fast-paced lifestyles, shoes have been scientifically engineered to provide the most comfort and to perform at the highest level for the individual who wears them, but shoes have not always been as systematically constructed.
KeywordsRunning shoe history Athletic footwear evolution Running shoe anatomy
- 1.Peter C: The Running Shoe Book. Anderson World Inc., Mountain View, CA, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Kippen C: The History of Sports Shoes. 1 March 2007, http://podiatry.curtin.edu.au/sport.html.
- 3.Krentzman J: The Force Behind the Nike Empire. The Stanford Magazine. 1 March 2007, http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/1997/janfeb/articles/knight.html.
- 4.Pribut SM, Douglas HR: 2002: A Sneaker Odyssey. 4 May 2007, http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sneaker_odyssey.html.
- 5.Bill B: Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 9 Jun 2007, 11:40 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 4 May 2007, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bill_Bowerman&oldid=137021879.Google Scholar
- 6.Guide to the Bill Bowerman papers: Northwestern Digital Archives. 4 May 2007, http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/ark:/80444/xv98511.
- 7.Phil K: Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Jun 2007, 23:55 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 4 May 2007, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Phil_Knight&oldid=136720572Google Scholar
- 8.Subotnick SI: Podiatry: Foot and Ankle Surgery. 4 May 2007, http://www.drsubotnick.com/.
- 9.Harry H: Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 17 Dec 2006, 14:53 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 4 May 2007, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Harry_Hlavac&oldid=94893048.Google Scholar
- 10.Athletic shoe with external counter and cushion assembly: Patent Storm. 4 May 2007. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4731939.html.
- 11.“Shoe with internal dynamic rocker element.” Free Patents Online. 4 May 2007, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4794707.html.
- 12.Smith L, James S: Newton Center Podiatry. 4 May 2007. http://www.drsmithstewart.com/.
- 13.Bates B: Biomechanics 4 May 2007, http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/∼ems/EMS02/bates.html.Google Scholar
- 14.Shoe comprising liquid cushioning element. Delphion. 4 May 2007. http://www.delphion.com/details?pn10=US05493792.
- 15.Summer sports safety. Ladies Home Journal. 4 May 2007, http://www.bhg.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/summersafety_07032001.xml&catref=bcat83.Google Scholar
- 16.Bates B: Backward Running: Benefits 4 May 2007, http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/∼btbates/backward/backward1.htm.Google Scholar
- 17.Article of footwear having adjustable width, footform and cushioning. Free Patents Online. 4 May 2007, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5729912.html
- 18.Chapel RJ: Making the shoe fit: good design can help prevent injuries caused by an unusual stride – selecting running shoes. Feb. 1986. Nation’s Business. 4 May 2007,http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1154/is_v74/ai_4116365
- 19.Kinesiology: University of Calgary. 4 May 2007, http://www.kin.ucalgary.ca/2002/profiles/nigg.asp
- 20.Blanchard F: Putting the Best Shoe Forward. 4 May 2007, http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/events/unicomm/Research/nigg.htm
- 21.Urquhart D, Mark R: U of C scores soccer assist. On Campus Weekly. 4 May 2007, http://www.ucalgary.ca/oncampus/weekly/may7-04/soccer-shoe.html
- 22.Inventor of the Week: Lemelson-MIT Program. March 2006. MIT School of Engineering: 4 May 2007, http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/dananberg.html
- 23.Deconstructing Shoes: Running Warehouse. 1 March 2007, http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/ShoePhD.html.
- 24.How to buy a running shoe: CBS Sports Store. 15 March 2007, http://www.cbssportsstore.com/sm-running-shoe-buyers-guide- -bg-222919.html.Google Scholar
- 25.Anatomy of a running shoe: American Running Association. 1 March 2007, http://www.americanrunning.org/displayindustryarticle.cfm?articlenbr=1430.
- 26.Reeves M: The Athletic Shoe. California School of Podiatric Medicine Biomechanics II Class. Samuel Merritt College. Room TC 9, 4 April 2007.Google Scholar
- 27.Super D: Anatomy of a running shoe. Roadrunner sports. 3 March 2007, http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=content1106.