Towards a Semantic Framework for Service Description
- 325 Downloads
The inexpensive and global connectivity provided by the Internet has triggered a wave of interest in providing service-oriented electronic access to commercial activities. This pressure has led, in turn, to a need for accurate service description, so that we may advertise, locate, analyse and compare services. In this paper, we classify services by the context in which they are used. Next, we characterise both conventional and electronic services according to a range of domain independent attributes including price, payment method and availability. We examine possible representations for each of these service dimensions. By integrating these representations into a unified service description language, we hope to provide a means to lubricate the electronic services marketplace.
KeywordsDigital Library Service Composition Service Level Agreement Service Description Virtual Enterprise
- Ariba Inc, Microsoft Co, and IBM Co (2000). Universal Description, Discovery and Integration of business for the web. http://www.uddi.org.
- Caelli, W., Longley, D., and Shain, M. (1991). Information Security Handbook. Macmillan Publishers.Google Scholar
- Casati, F., Ilnicki, S., Jin, L.-J., Krishnamoorthy, V., and Shan, M.-C. (2000). Adaptive and dynamic service composition in eFlow. In Proc. of the Int. Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE),Stockholm, Sweden. Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Chandra, R., Segev, A., and Stonebraker, M. (1994). Implementing calendars and temporal rules in the next generation databases. In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE),Houston TX, USA. IEEE Press.Google Scholar
- Christensen, E., Curbera, F., Meredith, G., and Weerawarana, S. (2000). Web Services Description Language (WSDL).http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/wsdl.asp.
- Commerce One Inc. (2000). XML Common Business Library (xCBL). http://www.xcbl.org.
- DAML Services Coalition (2001). Daml-s: Semantic markup for web services. In Proc. of the International Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS,Stanford University CA, USA.http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/ DAML,accessed 5-Nov01.
- Erwig, M., Guting, R., Schneider, M., and Vazirgiannis, M. (1999). Spatio-temporal data types: An approach to modeling and querying moving objects in databases. Geolnformatica, 3 (3).Google Scholar
- Investors Alliance (1996). Standard Industrial Classification. http://powerinvestor.com/SIC/.
- Kasper, H., Helsdingen, P. v., and Vries, W. d. (1999). Services Marketing Management: an International Perspective. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.Google Scholar
- Leban, B., McDonald, D., and Forster, D. (1986). A representation for collections of temporal intervals. In Proc. of the 5th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI),Philadelphia PA, USA. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Merz, M., Witthaut, M., and McConnel, S. (1997). OSM D8: Catalogue and service architecture.http://osm-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/osm-www/public/docs.
- Rappa, M. (2000). Business models on the web.http://ecommerce.ncsu.edu/businessmodels.html.
- Sandholm, T. W. and Lesser, V. R. (1996). Advantages of a leveled commitment contracting protocol. In Proceedings of the Thirteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-96), pages 126–133, Portland, OR, USA. AAAI Press.Google Scholar
- Schuster, H.,Georgakopoulos, D.,Cichocki, A., and Baker, D. (2000). Modeling and composing service-based and reference process-based multi-enterprise processes. In Proc. of the Int. Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE),Stockholm, Sweden. Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Snodgrass, R. T., editor (1995). The TSQL2 temporal query language. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Szyperski, C. (1998). Component software: Beyond object-oriented programming. Addison-Wesley, Reading MA, USA.Google Scholar
- United Nations and Dun & Bradstreet Co (1999). United Nations Standard Products and Services Codes.http://eccma.org/unspsc.
- W3C (1997–2000). Schema for Object-Oriented XML.http://www13.w3.org/TR/NOTE-SOX.
- WAP Forum (1999–2001). Wireless application protocol. http://www.wapforum.org/.
- Zeithaml, V. and Bitner, M. (1996). Services Marketing. McGraw Hill, New York, NY USA.Google Scholar