From Refutation to Verification
Model checking has won some industrial acceptance in debugging designs. Theorem proving and formal verification are less popular. An approach built around automated abstractions could integrate theorem proving with model checking in an acceptable way and provide a bridge between refutation and verification.
KeywordsModel checking theorem proving formal models assurance debugging.
- Parosh Aziz Abdulla, Aurore Annichini, Saddek Bensalem, Ahmed Bouajjani, Peter Habermehl, and Yassine Lakhnech. Verification of infinite-state systems by combining abstraction and reachability analysis. In Halbwachs and Peled , pages 146–159.Google Scholar
- Saddek Bensalem, Vijay Ganesh, Yassine Lakhnech, César Munoz, Sam Owre, Harald Rueß, John Rushby, Vlad Rusu, Hassen Sakti, N. Shankar, Eli Singerman, and Ashish Tiwari. An overview of SAL. In C. Michael Holloway, editor, LFM 2000: Fifth NASA Langley Formal Methods Workshop, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, June 2000. Available at http://shemesh.larc.nasa.gov/fm/Lfm2000/Proc/.Google Scholar
- Saddek Bensalem, Yassine Lakhnech, and Sam Owre. Computing abstractions of infinite state systems compositionally and automatically. In Hu and Vardi , pages 319–331.Google Scholar
- Saddek Bensalem, Yassine Lakhnech, and Sam Owre. InVeSt: A tool for the verification of invariants. In Hu and Vardi , pages 505–510.Google Scholar
- Edmund M. Clarke, Orna Grumberg, and David E. Long. Model checking and abstraction. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 16 (5): 1512–1542, September 1994.Google Scholar
- James Corbett, Matthew Dwyer, John Hatcliff, Corina Pasareanu, Robby, Shawn Laubach, and Hongjun Zheng. Bandera: Extracting finite-state models from Java source code. In 22nd International Conference on Software Engineering, pages 439–448, IEEE Computer Society, Limerick, Ireland, June 2000.Google Scholar
- Satyaki Das, David L. Dill, and Seungjoon Park. Experience with predicate abstraction. In Halbwachs and Peled , pages 160–171.Google Scholar
- Nicolas Halbwachs and Doron Peled, editors. Computer-Aided Verification, CAV ‘89, Volume 1633 of Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Trento, Italy, July 1999.Google Scholar
- Alan J. Hu and Moshe Y. Vardi, editors. Computer-Aided Verification, CAV ‘88, Volume 1427 of Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vancouver, Canada, June 1998.Google Scholar
- Hassen Saldi. Model checking guided abstraction and analysis. In Seventh International Static Analysis Symposium (SAS’00), Santa Barbara CA, June 2000. To appear.Google Scholar
- Hassen Saldi and N. Shankar. Abstract and model check while you prove. In Halbwachs and Peled , pages 443–454.Google Scholar