Modeling Distributed Embedded Systems In MulticlockEsterel
In this paper, we show that the paradigm of Multiclock Esterel can be effectively used for the design of asynchronously communicating distributed systems. First we show that the protocol used in Multiclock Esterel for the modeling of VHDL can be used for the design of asynchronous interaction of processes, and an analysis can be made relative to speed or periodicity of the underlying processes for a safe implementation without missing any signals. The analysis also shows that one can arrive at a tradeoff between the periodicity and the buffer requirements on the average over a sequence of periods. Then, we illustrate the modeling of communicating reactive processes (which is essentially a network of Esterel nodes communicating via the rendezvous mechanism) as an instance of Multiclock Esterel.
KeywordsEmbedded Systems Multiclock Esterel Synchronous languages.
- Basant Rajan. Programming Languages: Specification Design of Multiple-Clocked Systems. PhD thesis, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, 98.Google Scholar
- Basant Rajan and R.K. Shyamasundar. An Implementation of CRP. In LASTED,Singapore, 97. (Also TIFR/TCS-957 Bombay, India).Google Scholar
- G. Berry and G. Gonthier. The Esterel Synchronous Programming Language: Design semantics, Implementation. SCP,19(2):87–152, Nov 92.Google Scholar
- G. Berry, S. Ramesh, and R.K. Shyamasundar. Communicating Reactive Processes. 20 th ACM POPL,pages 85–99, Jan 93.Google Scholar
- P. Caspi, C. Mazuet, R. Salem, and D. Weber. Formal design of distributed control systems with lustre. In SafeCom99, Sept 1999.Google Scholar
- Yann Remond F. Maraninchi. Mode-automata: About modes and states for reactive systems. volume ESOP of LNCS Springer-Verlag, 98.Google Scholar
- H. Kopetz, M.Kucera, D. Millinger, C. Ebner, and I. Smaili. Interfacing time-triggered embedded systems. In Proc. of the Int. Symposium on Internet Technology, pages 180–186, Taipei, Taiwan, Apr 1998.Google Scholar
- B. Rajan and R.K. Shyamasundar. Networks of preemptible reactive processes: An implementation. In Int. Conf. on VLSI Design, New Delhi, India, Dec 1995.Google Scholar
- B. Rajan and R.K. Shyamasundar. Multiclock ESTEREL: A reactive framework for asynchronous design. In 13 th Intl. Conf. on VLSI Design, pages 76–83, Calcutta, India, Jan 2000.Google Scholar
- B. Rajan and R.K. Shyamasundar. Multiclock ESTEREL: An asynchrnous framework for asynchronous design. In Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Cancun, Mexico, May 2000.Google Scholar
- Basant Rajan, S.A. Dahodwala, T.M. Topiwalla, and R.K Shyamasundar. Time triggered systems in Multiclock ESTEREL’ Manuscript, 2000.Google Scholar
- S. Ramesh R.K. Shyamasundar. Semantics and verification of hierarchical programs. volume 999 of LNCS, pages 436–461. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar