Performance Evaluation of an Inter-Stream Adaptation Algorithm for Multimedia Communications
Controlling the quality of a collaborative multimedia session, which employs multiple streams, is a challenging problem. In this paper, we present and analyze the performance of an inter-stream adaptation algorithm, which dynamically allocates the shared resources reserved for a session among the streams belonging to it. The objective of this dynamic allocation is to optimize the overall session quality. The traffic characteristics of the streams are specified using the M-LBAP (Modified Linear Bounded Arrival Processes) model. The M-LBAP model provides tight characterization for the traffic while maintaining the simplicity and linearity of the LBAP model. Delay bounds for streams sharing a group reservation are analytically derived using the M-LBAP model. Degradation paths specified using the M-LBAP model are used as the basis for a dynamic rate based algorithm for inter-stream adaptation (RISA). The performance of RISA is contrasted to static resource allocation policies, and it is shown that higher utilization and acceptance ratios are achievable by RISA. These achievable results are reflected on and summarized by a proposed metric for judging the effectiveness of resource allocation on the overall quality of session.
KeywordsInter-stream adaptation Quality of Session Quality of Service resource allocation traffic characterization.
- Anderson, D.P. (1993) Meta-scheduling for distributed continuous media. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 11(3), August 1993.Google Scholar
- Campbell, A., Coulson, G. and Hutchinson, D. (1994) A Quality of Service Architecture. Internal Report MPG-94–08, Lancaster University, 1994.Google Scholar
- Coreman, T., Leiserson, C. and Rivest, R. (1990) Introduction to Algorithms. McGraw-Hill and MIT Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Cruz, R. (1991) A Calculus for Network Delay, Part I: Network Elements in Isolation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 37 (1), 1991.Google Scholar
- Gupta, A., Howe, W., Moran, M. and Nguyen, Q. (1995) Resource Sharing for Multi-Party Real-Time Communication. Proceedings of INFOCOM’95.Google Scholar
- Maly, K., Abdel-Wahab, H., Overstreet, C.M., Wild, C., Gupta, A., Youssef, A., Stoica, E. and Al-Shaer, E. (1997) Interactive Distance Learning over Intranets. IEEE Internet Computing, 1(1), January 1997.Google Scholar
- Youssef, A., Abdel-Wahab, H. and Maly, K. (1997) Inter-Stream Adaptation over Group Reservations. TR_97_37, Old Dominion University, April 1997.Google Scholar
- Youssef, A., Abdel-Wahab, H., Maly, K. and Gouda, M. (1997) Inter-Stream Adaptation for Collaborative Multimedia Applications. Proceedings of the Second IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC’97), Alexandria, Egypt, July 1997.Google Scholar
- Zhang, H. and Ferrari, D. (1994) Improving Utilization for Deterministic Service in Multimedia Communication. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, 1994.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L, Deering, S., Estrin, D., Shenker, S. and Zappala, D. (1993) RSVP: A New Resource ReSerVation Protocol. IEEE Network Magazine, September 1993.Google Scholar