Transport QoS over Unreliable Networks: No Guarantees, No Free Lunch!
We describe an approach to transport QoS in unreliable networks that focuses on tradeoffs rather than guarantees. In particular, we investigate tradeoffs between qualitative QoS parameters such as order and reliability, and quantitative parameters such as delay and throughput.
KeywordsTransport Service Free Lunch Army Research Laboratory Unreliable Network Delay Improvement
- Amer, P., Conrad, P., Golden, E., Iren, S. and Caro, A. (1997), Partially ordered, partially reliable transport service for multimedia applications, in `Advanced Telecommunications/Information Distribution Research Program Annual Conference’, College Park, MD.Google Scholar
- Clark, D. D. and Tennenhouse, D. L. (1990), Architectural considerations for a new generation of protocols, in `SIGCOMM 1990’, pp. 200–208. Computer Communications Review, Vol. 20 (4), Sept. 1990.Google Scholar
- Conrad, P. T. (1997), Order, Reliability, and Synchronization in Transport Layer Protocols for Multimedia Document Retrieval, PhD thesis, Computer and Inforamtion Sciences, University of Delaware. (in progress).Google Scholar
- Conrad, P. T., Golden, E., Amer, P. D. and Marasli, R. (1996), A multimedia document retrieval system using partially-ordered/partially-reliable transport service, in `Multimedia Computing and Networking 1996 (MMCN96; sponsored by SPIE/ISandT)’, San Jose, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Iren, S. (in progress), `Network-conscious image compression’. PhD Dissertation, CIS Dept., University of Delaware.Google Scholar
- Marasli, R. (1997), Partially Ordered and Partially Reliable Transport Protocols: Performance Analysis, PhD thesis, University of Delaware.Google Scholar
- Marasli, R., Amer, P. and Conrad, P. (1997a), Partially reliable transport service, in ‘Proc Second IEEE on Computers and Communications (ISCC’97)’, Alexandria, Egypt. to appear.Google Scholar
- Marasli, R., Amer, P. D. and Conrad, P. T. (1996a), Optimizing partially ordered transport services for multimedia applications, in `Third International Conference on Multimedia Modeling’, Toulouse, France.Google Scholar
- Marasli, R., Amer, P. D. and Conrad, P. T. (1996b), Retransmission-based partially reliable transport service: An analytic model, in `IEEE INFOCOM’96’, IEEE, San Fransisco, CA, pp. 621–629.Google Scholar
- Marasli, R., Amer, P. D. and Conrad, P. T. (1997b), `An analytic study of partially ordered transport services’, Computer Networks and ISDN Systems. (To appear).Google Scholar