On the accelerated simulation of VBR virtual channel multiplexing in a single-server FIFO buffer
While direct cell-level simulation accurately predicts congestion in cell-switched networks, excessive run-times are often required to obtain significant results. Methods of Accelerated simulation have therefore been developed, examples of which include the cell rate technique (which represents the discrete cell-streams as continuous fluids) and the histogram method (which merges the multiplexed streams into an aggregate cell-rate histogram and performs independent statistical analysis on each bin). The current work applies both these techniques to a simple ATM multiplexer and explores their respective advantages and drawbacks. While the cell-rate method provides accurate predictions under a rapidly varying bit rate, the histogram method is more successful under quasi-static conditions. This suggests the possibility of a hybrid cell-rate/histogram model which is accurate at both extremes.
KeywordsATM networks simulation techniques statistical analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bunday, B. (1995), Dept. of Mathematics, University of Bradford, private communication.Google Scholar
- Frost, V. S., Wood Larue, W, Shanmugan, K. S. (1988) Efficient Techniques for the Simulation of Computer Communications Networks, IEEE J-SAC, 6, 146–57.Google Scholar
- Hashida, O, Takahashi, Y, Shimogawa, S (1991) Switched Batch Bernoulli Process (SBBP) and the Discrete-Time SBBP/G/1 Queue with Application to Statistical Multiplexer Performance, IEEE J-SAC, 9, 394–401.Google Scholar
- Kurose, J. F., Mouftah, H. T. (1988) Computer-Aided Modelling, Analysis, and Design of Communication Networks, IEEE J-SAC, 6, 130–45.Google Scholar
- Parish, D. J., Rogers, C, Nche, C, Ruiz, I (1994) Modelling the Orwell Network Access Protocol on a Slotted Ring, in Computer and Telecommunication Systems Performance Engineering (eds. M. E. Woodward, S. Datta, S. Szumko), Pentech Press, London, 108–13.Google Scholar
- Pitts, J. M., Cuthbert, L. G., Bocci, M., Scharf, E. M. (1994a) Cell Rate Modelling: An Accelerated Simulation Technique for ATM Networks, ibid., 94–107.Google Scholar
- Pitts, J. M., Cuthbert, L. G., Bocci, M, Scharf, E. M. (1994b) An Accelerated Simulation Technique for Modelling Burst-Scale Queueing Behaviour in ATM, Teletraffic Congress, 14th. International Conference, 1, 777–86.Google Scholar
- Press, W. H, Teukolsky, S. A., Vetterling, W. T., Flannery, B. P. (1988) Numerical Recipes in C, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar