Knowledge-Level Analysis of the User Interface Design for a Compositional Modeling System
This paper presents the design of a knowledge acquisition user interface for a compositional modeling system. To facilitate collaborative development of knowledge bases and their reuse, knowledge of the domain is represented in a formal language based on the first-order predicate logic. The vocabulary used is also formally defined explicitly in the same language. However, use of a formal representation language does not make the process of expressing knowledge about the domain easy or efficient for all users. We have designed the knowledge acquisition interface with multiple layers, each intended for a different type of users, such as programmers, knowledge engineers, and domain experts. Though the underlying modeling system employs one representation formalism, the layered interface allows each type of users to interact with the system in terms that are appropriate and efficient for their purposes.
Keywordsuser interface compositional modeling knowledge acquisition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crawford, J., Farquhar, A., et al. (1990) QPC: A Compiler from Physical Models into Qualitative Differential Equations. Proceedings of the Eighth Notional Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Boston, AAAI Press/The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Farquhar, A. (1994) A Qualitative Physics Compiler. Proceedings of the Twelfth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press/The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Farquhar, A., Iwasaki, Y., et al. (1996) A Compositional Modeling Language. Proceedings of the Tenth International Workshop on Qualitative Reasoning. AAAI Technical Report. Series. AAAI Press.Google Scholar
- Genesereth, M. R. and Fikes, R. E. (1992) Knowledge Interchange Format Version 3.0 Reference Manual, Logic-92–1. Computer Science Department, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Gruber, T. R. (1992) Ontolingua: A Mechanism to Support Portable Ontologies, KSL-91–66. Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Rice, J., Farquhar, A. et al. (1996) Using the Web Instead of a Window System. Proceedings, CHI 96. ACM Press, New York.Google Scholar