Commercial Data Mining Software
This chapter discusses selected commercial software for data mining, supercomputing data mining, text mining, and web mining. The selected software are compared with their features and also applied to available data sets. The software for data mining are SAS Enterprise Miner, Megaputer PolyAnalyst 5.0, PASW (formerly SPSS Clementine), IBM Intelligent Miner, and BioDiscovery GeneSight. The software for supercomputing are Avizo by Visualization Science Group and JMP Genomics from SAS Institute. The software for text mining are SAS Text Miner and Megaputer PolyAnalyst 5.0. The software for web mining are Megaputer PolyAnalyst and SPSS Clementine . Background on related literature and software are presented. Screen shots of each of the selected software are presented, as are conclusions and future directions.
KeywordsData Mining Screen Shot Mining Software Data Mining Software Distribute Data Mining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to acknowledge the support provided by a 2009 Summer Faculty Research Grant as awarded to them by the College of Business of Arkansas State University without whose program and support this work cannot be done. The authors also want to acknowledge each of the software manufactures for their support of this research.
- AAAI (2002), American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Spring Symposium on Information Refinement and Revision for Decision Making: Modeling for Diagnostics, Prognostics, and Prediction, Software and Data, retrieved from http: //www.cs.rpi.edu/∼goebel/ss02/software-and-data.html.
- Curry, C., Grossman, R., Locke, D., Vejcik, S., and Bugajski, J. (2007), Detecting changes in large data sets of payment card data: A case study, KDD’07, August 12-15, San Jose, CA.Google Scholar
- Data Intelligence Group (1995), An overview of data mining at Dun & Bradstreet, DIG White Paper 95/01, retrieved from http://www.thearling.com.text/wp9501/wp9501.htm.
- Davies, A. (2007), Identification of spurious results generated via data mining using an Internet distributed supercomputer grant, Duquesne University Donahue School of Business, http://www.business.duq.edu/Research/details.asp?id=83
- Deshmukah, A. V. (1997), Software review: ModelQuest Expert 1.0, ORMS Today, December 1997, retrieved from http://www.lionhrtpub.com/orms/orms-12-97/softwarereview. html.
- Ducatelle, F., (2006), Software for the data mining course, School of Informatics, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, retrieved from http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/teaching/courses/dme/html/software2.html.
- Grossman, R. (2007), Data grids, data clouds and data webs: a survey of high performance and distributed data mining, HPC Workshop: Hardware and software for largescale biological computing in the next decade, December 11-14, Okinawa, Japan, http://www.irp.oist.jp/hpc-workshop/slides.html
- Hearst, M. A.(2003), What is Data Mining?, http://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/∼hearstr/text_mining.html
- IBM DB2 Intelligent Miner Visualization: Using the Intelligent Miner Visualizers Version 8.2 SH12, Second Edition, August 2004Google Scholar
- Lazarevic A., Fiea T., & Obradovic, Z., (2006), A software system for spatial data analysis and modeling, retrieved from http://www.ist.temple.edu?∼zoran/papers/lazarevic00.pdf.
- Leung, Y. F. (2004), My microarray software comparison - Data mining software, September 2004, Chinese University of Hong Kong, retrieved from http://www.ihome.cuhk.edu.hk/∼b400559/arraysoft mining specific.html.
- Megaputer Intelligence Inc.(2007), Data Mining, Text Mining, and Web Mining Software, http:///www.megaputer.com
- Mesrobian, E. , Muntz, R., Shek,E., Mechoso,, C. R., Farrara, J.D., Spahr, J.A., Stolorz, P.(1995), Real time data mining, management, and visualization of GCM output, IEEE Computer Society, v.81, http://dml.cs.ucla.edu/∼shek/publications/sc_94.ps.gz
- Metz. C.(2003), Software: Text Mining, PC Magazine, July 1, http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/0,1217.a=43573,00.asp
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (2006), National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, NCBI tools for data mining, retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm,nih.gov/Tools/.
- Nayak, R. (2008), Data Mining in Web Services Discovery and Monitoring, International Journal of Web Services Research. 5(1), 63-82.Google Scholar
- Nisbet, R. A.(2006), Data mining tools: Which one is best for CRM? Part 3, DM Review, March 21, 2006, retrieved from http://www.dmreview.com/editorial/dmreview/print_action.cfm?articleId=1049954.
- Rokach, L. and Maimon, O., Theory and applications of attribute decomposition, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp.473–480, 2001.Google Scholar
- Rokach, L. and Maimon, O. and Averbuch, M., Information Retrieval System for Medical Narrative Reports, Lecture Notes in Artificial intelligence 3055, page 217-228 Springer-Verlag, 2004.Google Scholar
- Sanchez, E. (1996), Speedier: Penn researchers to link supercomputers to community problems, The Compass,v.43,n.4,p.14, September 17, http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/ features/1996/091796/research
- SAS (2009), JMP Genomics 4.0 Product Brief, http://www.jmp.com/software/genomics/pdf/103112_jmpg4_prodbrief.pdf
- Seigle, G. (2002), CIA, FBI developing intelligence supercomputer, Global Security.Google Scholar
- Sekijima, M. (2007), Application of HPC to the analysis of disease related protein and the design of novel proteins, HPC Workshop: “Hardware and software for largescale biological computing in the next decade”, December 11-14, Okinawa, Japan, http://www.irp.oist.jp/hpc-workshop/slides.html
- SPPS (2009a): PASW Modeler 13: Overview Demo, http://www.spss.com/media/demos/modeler/ demo-modeler-overview/index.htm
- SPPS (2009b): PAWS Modeler Auto Cluster and Cluster Viewer, http://www.spss.com/media/demos/modeler/demo-modeler-autocluster/index.htm.
- PSS (2007),Web Mining for Clementine, http://www.spss.com/web_mining_for_clementine, viewed 16 May 2007.
- StatSoft, Inc. (2006), Electronic textbook, retrieved from http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/glosa.html.
- VSG Visualization Sciences Group (2009), Avizo The 3D visualization software for scientific and industrial data, http://www.vsg3d.com/vsg_prod_avizo_overview.php
- Wikipedia (2006), Supercomputers, Retrieved May 19, 2009 from BookRags.com: http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Supercomputer
- Wikipedia (2007), Web mining, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_mining
- Woodfield, Terry (2004), Mining Textual Data Using SAS Text Miner for SAS9 Course Notes, SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC.Google Scholar