Enabling Scientists Through Workflowand Quality of Service
There is a strong desire within scientific communities to Grid-enable their experiments. This is fueled by the advantages of having remote (collaborative) access to instruments, computational resources and storage. In order to make the scientists experience as rewarding as possible two technologies need to be adopted into the Grid paradigm: those of workflow, to allow the whole scientific process to be automated, and Quality of Service (QoS) to ensure that this automation meets the scientists’ needs and expectations. In this chapter we present an end-to-end workflow pipeline which takes a user’s design and automates the processes of workflow design, resource selections and reservation through to enacting the workflow on the Grid, thus removing much of the complexity inherent within this process.
KeywordsBusiness Logic Business Process Execution Language Advanced Reservation Performance Repository EGEE Project
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Abdelnur and S. Hepper. “Portlet specification (jsr-168)”. http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr168/
- “Active endpoints”. ActiveBPEL Designer. http://www.active-endpoints.com/products/activebpeldes/index.html
- “Active endpoints”. ActiveBPEL Engine (2.0). http://www.activebpel.org
- T. Andrews, F. Curbera, H. Dholakia, Y. Goland, J. Klein, F. Leymann, K. Liu, D. Roller, D. Smith, S. Thatte, I. Trickovic, and S. Weerawarana. “Business process execution language for web services v. 1.1 (BPEL4WS)”. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-bpel/, May 2003.
- R. Bilorusets, D. Box, L. F. Cabrera, D. Davis, D. Ferguson, C. Ferris, T. Freund, M. A. Hondo, J. Ibbotson, L. Jin, C. Kaler, D. Langworthy, A. Lewis, R. Limprecht, S. Lucco, D. Mullen, A. Nadalin, M. Nottingham, D. Orchard, J. Roots, S. Samdarshi, J. Shewchuk, and T. Storey. “Web services reliable messaging protocol (WS-ReliableMessaging)”. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-rm/, Feb. 2005.
- D. Box, E. Christensen, F. Curbera, D. Ferguson, J. Frey, M. Hadley, C. Kaler, D. Langworthy, F. Leymann, B. Lovering, S. Lucco, S. Millet, N. Mukhi, M. Nottingham, D. Orchard, J. Shewchuk, E. Sindambiwe, T. Storey, S. Weerawarana, and S. Winkler. “Web services Addressing (WS-Addressing)”. Technical report, Aug. 2004.Google Scholar
- D. Burdett and N. Kavantzas. “WS-Choreography model”. http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-chor-model/
- E. Christensen, F. Curbera, G. Meredith, and S. Weerawarana. “Web services description language (WSDL) 1.1”. http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl, Mar. 2001.
- C. Coenraets. “An overview of MXML: The Flex markup language”. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/paradigm.html, Mar. 2004.
- D. Colling, L. Dickens, T. Ferrari, Y. Hassoun, C. Kotsokalis, M. Krznaric, J. Martyniak, A. McGough, and E. Ronchieri. “Adding instruments and workflow support to existing grid architectures”. Volume 3993 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 956–963, Reading, UK, Apr. 2006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EGEE project. “Enabling grids for e-sciencE”. http://public.eu-egee.org/
- EGEE project. “Lightweight middleware for grid computing”. http://glite.web.cern.ch/glite/
- I. Foster and C. Kesselman, editors. The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure. Morgan Kaufmann, July 1998.Google Scholar
- G. Grossman and E. Huang. “ActionScript 3.0 overview”. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/action script/articles/actionscript3_overview.html, June 2006.
- A. McGough, W. Lee, J. Cohen, E. Katsiri, and J. Darlington. “Workflows for eScience: Scientific Workflows for Grids”, June 2006.Google Scholar
- A. McGough, J. Cohen, J. Darlington, E. Katsiri, W. Lee, S. Panagiotidi, and Y. Patel. “An end-to-end workflow pipeline for large-scale grid computing”. Journal of Grid Computing, vol. 3, no. 3–4, pp. 1–23, Feb. 2006.Google Scholar
- Network weather service. http://nws.cs.ucsb.edu/ewiki/, Apr. 2006.
- D. Nickull and F. McCabe. “SOA reference model”. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
- Oracle. “Oracle BPEL process manager”. http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/bpel/index.html
- F. Asnicar, L. Chittaro, L. De Marco, L. Del Cano, R. Pugliese, R. Ranon, and A. Senerchia. Collaborative Environment for the Grid – Multipurpose Collaborative Environment. Distributed Cooperative Laboratories, Springer 2006Google Scholar
- W3C.“Web Service”. http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch/
- Xml path language (xpath) version 1.0. http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath, Nov. 1999.