The WiLAB Telemeasurement Platform For Distributed Resources On Heterogeneous Communication Networks
This chapter presents a platform enabling the concept of cooperative telemeasurements involving distributed resources, such as laboratories with instrumentation, programmable devices based on FPGA (partially or fully programmable) or DSP architectures and network cameras. The platform allows an easy and fast remote configuration through virtual interfaces (VIs), implemented through both commercial software and Java; in the latter case VIs are designed in such a way that they do not depend on the particular resource, but on its functionalities. That means, for example, that the interface working for a specific spectrum analyzer also adapts itself to the same kind of instruments of different manufactures, whereas the traditional approach would require customized VIs for each specific instrument. New general-purpose data structures and communication protocols have been properly implemented in XML code, with high degree of scalability and transparency to user hardware and interface. The architecture has been implemented in the Wireless Communication Laboratories (WiLab) at the University of Bologna, Italy, where three different laboratories are interconnected through a heterogeneous communication network and properly cooperate to increase their functionalities.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- O. Andrisano, A. Conti, D. Dardari, A. Roversi, “Telemeasurements and Circuits Remote Configuration Through Heterogeneous Networks: Characterization of Communications Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 744–753, June 2006.Google Scholar
- Apache HTTP Server Project, http://www.apache.org.Google Scholar
- Comblock, http://www.comblock.com.Google Scholar
- CRIMSON, Cooperative Remote Interconnected Measurement Systems Over Networks.Google Scholar
- European Project RINGrid www.ringrid.eu.Google Scholar
- Hewlett Packard, Easy Productive Instrumentation Control, January 1995 Edition.Google Scholar
- J. Humphrey, V. Malhotra, V. Trujillo, “Developing Distributed GPIB Test Systems Using GPIB-ENET/100 and Existing Ethernet Networks”, National Instruments, Application Note 103, www.ni.com.Google Scholar
- Java Native Interface, http://www.Java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/native1.1/.
- LabVIEW 7 Express User Manual, National Instrument, April 2003 Edition.Google Scholar
- LabVIEW RunTime Engine, http://www.ni.com/support/LabVIEW/toolkits/appbuild/lv51ab.htm.
- LightWeight Directory Access Protocol, www.openldap.org.Google Scholar
- MultiMedialita – Interactive and Multimedia Network to extend Internet services.Google Scholar
- MySQL Database Server, www.mysql.com.Google Scholar
- PHP, www.php.net.Google Scholar
- Rohde 8 Schwarz, www.rohde-schwarz.com.Google Scholar
- A. Roversi, A. Conti, D. Dardari, O. Andrisano, “A WEB-Based Architecture Enabling Cooperative Telemeasurements”, 2005 Tyrrhenian International Workshop on Digital Communications Distributed Cooperative Laboratories – Issues in Networking, Instrumentation and Measurements – Sorrento, Italy, July 4–6, 2005.Google Scholar
- SUMMIT, Servizi Ubiquitari MultiMediali per l’Innovazione Telematica e Tecnologica, http://summit.aster.it.Google Scholar
- VICom, Virtual Immersive COMmunication, http://www.vicom-project.it.Google Scholar
- Teledoc2, www.teledoc2.cnit.it.Google Scholar
- Texas Instrument Digital Signal Processing, http://www.ti.com.Google Scholar
- WiLAB (Wireless Communication Laboratories), Bologna, Italy, www.wilab.org.Google Scholar