MAC specifications for a WPAN allowing both energy saving and guaranteed delay*
Industrials have been increasingly interested in sensor and actuator networks to monitor and control their installations. The recent IEEE 802.15.4 standard has been developed to address vital issues of these networks, such as limited battery power and low processing ca- pabilities. However, the standard does not meet all the requirements of industrial networks. For example, only some of the IEEE 802.15.4 nodes save energy, and the delay for a sensor to activate an actuator is not bounded. Our research on energy-efficient MAC protocol is divided into two parts: Part A consists in introducing a flexible, synchronized tree based MAC protocol called MaCARI and Part B deals with optimizations that can be performed within each star.
This paper focuses on Part B, that is, on the intra-star MaCARI protocol. Our proposal is an incremental protocol with different options which increase respectively the previous one in terms of bandwidth and energy saving. A hardware prototyping of the last option has been done in order to validate our proposal.
Keywordswireless sensor networks IEEE 802.15.4 energy efficiency QoS MAC layer
- 1.ANR: The ANR web site http://www.agence-nationale- recherche.fr/documents/aap/2006/finance/Telecom-2006-resumes.pdf.Google Scholar
- 2.The OCARI project: The OCARI project web site http://ocari.lri.fr.Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE 802.15: Part 15.4: Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for low-rate wireless personal area networks (WPANs). Stan- dard 802.15.4 R2006, ANSI/IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Zigbee Alliance: Zigbee Specification. Standard Zigbee R2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Chalhoub, G., Guitton, A., Misson, M.: MAC specifications for a WPAN allowing both energy saving and guaranted delay - Part A: MaCARI: a synchronized tree- based mac protocol. In: Submitted to WSAN 2008Google Scholar
- 6.van den Bossche, A., Val, T., Campo, E.: Prototyping and performance analysis of a QoS MAC-layer for industrial wireless network. In: FET2007 (7th IFAC In- ternational Conference on Fieldbuses and nETworks in industrial and embedded systems). (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.van den Bossche, A.: Proposition d’une nouvelle méthode d’accès déterministe pour un réseau personnel sans fil à fortes contraintes temporelles. PhD thesis, Université de Toulouse (2007) In french.Google Scholar
- 8.van den Bossche, A., Val, T., Campo, E.: Proposition and validation of an orig- inal MAC layer with simultaneous medium accesses for low latency wireless con- trol/command applications. In: IFAC WC08 (17th IFAC World Congress). (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Freescale Semiconductor: Zigbee / IEEE 802.15.4 Freescale solution. Technology General Information (2004)Google Scholar