Investigating the Robustness and Diagnostic Potential of Extracellular Matrix Remodelling Biomarkers in Alkaptonuria
Background and aim: Alkaptonuria (AKU) clinical manifestations resemble severe arthritis. The Suitability of Nitisinone in Alkaptonuria 1 (SONIA 1) study is a dose-finding trial for nitisinone treatment of AKU patients. We tested a panel of serum and urinary biomarkers reflecting extracellular matrix remodelling (ECMR) of cartilage, bone and connective tissue in SONIA 1 patients to identify non-invasive and diagnostic biomarkers of tissue turnover in AKU.
Methods: Fasted serum and urine were retrieved from 40 SONIA 1 patients and 44 healthy controls. Established biomarkers of bone remodelling (CTX-I, P1NP, OC), cartilage remodelling (CTX-II, C2M, AGNx1) and inflammation (CRPM) as well as exploratory biomarkers of ECMR (C6M, VCANM, MIM, TIM) were measured at baseline in serum and urine by means of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs) or automated systems (Elecsys 2010).
Results: The levels of bone resorption (CTX-I) and cartilage degradation (C2M) were elevated in AKU patients as compared to controls (p > 0.0001 and p = 0.03, respectively). Also tissue inflammation (CRPM) was elevated in AKU patients (p = 0.01). In addition all four exploratory biomarkers of ECMR (C6M, VCANM, MIM, TIM) were elevated in AKU patients compared to healthy controls. CTX-II was the only biomarker to be reduced in AKU patients. TIM was the only marker that showed a higher concentration than the normal assay range in AKU patients.
Conclusions: We have identified new potential biomarkers for assessment of cartilage, bone and cardiovascular remodelling in AKU and demonstrated the robustness of the assays used to measure the biomarker concentration in biological fluids.
KeywordsUrine Creatinine Cartilage Degradation Extracellular Matrix Remodelling Homogentisic Acid Cardiovascular Remodelling
This study was funded by the European Union Seventh Framework Programme (project 304985) and by the Danish Research Fund (“Den Danske Forskningsfond”).
- Arends S, Spoorenberg A, Houtman PM, Leijsma MK, Bos R, Kallenberg CG, Groen H, Brouwer E, van der V (2012) The effect of three years of TNFalpha blocking therapy on markers of bone turnover and their predictive value for treatment discontinuation in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a prospective longitudinal observational cohort study. Arthritis Res Ther 14:R98PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Barascuk N, Vassiliadis E, Zheng Q, Wang Y, Wang W, Larsen L, Rasmussen LM, Karsdal MA (2011) Levels of circulating MMCN-151, a degradation product of mimecan, reflect pathological extracellular matrix remodeling in apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Biomark Insights 6:97–106PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Barascuk N, Genovese F, Larsen L, Byrjalsen I, Zheng Q, Sun S, Hosbond S, Poulsen TS, Diederichsen A, Jensen JM, Mickley H, Register TC, Rasmussen LM, Leeming DJ, Christiansen C, Karsdal MA (2013) A MMP derived versican neo-epitope is elevated in plasma from patients with atherosclerotic heart disease. Int J Clin Exp Med 6:174–184PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bay-Jensen AC, Liu Q, Byrjalsen I, Li Y, Wang J, Pedersen C, Leeming DJ, Dam EB, Zheng Q, Qvist P, Karsdal MA (2011) Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISAs) for metalloproteinase derived type II collagen neoepitope, CIIM–increased serum CIIM in subjects with severe radiographic osteoarthritis. Clin Biochem 44:423–429CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dorleijn DM, Luijsterburg PA, Bay-Jensen AC, Siebuhr AS, Karsdal MA, Rozendaal RM, Bos PK, Bierma-Zeinstra SM (2014) Association between biochemical cartilage markers and clinical symptoms in patients with hip osteoarthritis: cohort study with 2-year follow-up. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 23:57–62CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hashimoto J, Garnero P, van der HD, Miyasaka N, Yamamoto K, Kawai S, Takeuchi T, Yoshikawa H, Nishimoto N (2009) A combination of biochemical markers of cartilage and bone turnover, radiographic damage and body mass index to predict the progression of joint destruction in patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs. Mod Rheumatol 19:273–282Google Scholar
- Karsdal MA, Byrjalsen I, Bay-Jensen AC, Henriksen K, Riis BJ, Christiansen C (2010) Biochemical markers identify influences on bone and cartilage degradation in osteoarthritis–the effect of sex, Kellgren-Lawrence (KL) score, body mass index (BMI), oral salmon calcitonin (sCT) treatment and diurnal variation. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:125PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Leeming DJ, Larsen DV, Zhang C, Hi Y, Veidal SS, Nielsen RH, Henriksen K, Zheng Q, Barkholt V, Riis BJ, Byrjalsen I, Qvist P, Karsdal MA (2010) Enzyme-linked immunosorbent serum assays (ELISAs) for rat and human N-terminal pro-peptide of collagen type I (PINP)–assessment of corresponding epitopes. Clin Biochem 43:1249–1256CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Millucci L, Ghezzi L, Paccagnini E, Giorgetti G, Viti C, Braconi D, Laschi M, Geminiani M, Soldani P, Lupetti P, Orlandini M, Benvenuti C, Perfetto F, Spreafico A, Bernardini G, Santucci A (2014a) Amyloidosis, inflammation, and oxidative stress in the heart of an alkaptonuric patient. Mediators Inflamm 2014:258471PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pedersen SJ, Sorensen IJ, Garnero P, Johansen JS, Madsen OR, Tvede N, Hansen MS, Thamsborg G, Andersen LS, Majgaard O, Loft AG, Erlendsson J, Asmussen K, Jurik AG, Moller J, Hasselquist M, Mikkelsen D, Skjodt T, Lambert R, Hansen A, Ostergaard M (2011) ASDAS, BASDAI and different treatment responses and their relation to biomarkers of inflammation, cartilage and bone turnover in patients with axial spondyloarthritis treated with TNFalpha inhibitors. Ann Rheum Dis 70:1375–1381CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ranganath LR, Milan AM, Huges AT (2014) Suitability of nitisinone in alkaptonuria 1 (SONIA 1): an international, multicenter, randomized, open-label, no-treatment controlled, parallel-group, dose–response study to investigate the effect of once daily nitisinone on 24-hour urinary homogentisic acid excretion in patients with alkaptonuria after 4 weeks of treatment. Ann Rheum Dis 0:1–6Google Scholar
- Siebuhr AS, Wang J, Karsdal M, Bay-Jensen AC, Jin Y, Zheng Q (2012) Matrix metalloproteinase-dependent turnover of cartilage, synovial membrane, and connective tissue is elevated in rats with collagen induced arthritis. J Transl Med 10:195Google Scholar
- Siebuhr AS, Petersen KK, Rendt-Nielsen Z, Egsgaard LL, Eskehave T, Christiansen C, Simonsen O, Hoeck HC, Karsdal MA, Bay-Jensen AC (2014) Identification and characterisation of osteoarthritis patients with inflammation derived tissue turnover. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 22:44–50Google Scholar
- Skjot-Arkil H, Schett G, Zhang C, Larsen DV, Wang Y, Zheng Q, Larsen MR, Nawrocki A, Bay-Jensen AC, Henriksen K, Christiansen C, Alexandersen P, Leeming DJ, Karsdal MA (2012) Investigation of two novel biochemical markers of inflammation, matrix metalloproteinase and cathepsin generated fragments of C-reactive protein, in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 30:371–379PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Syversen SW, Goll GL, van der HD, Landewe R, Gaarder PI, Odegard S, Haavardsholm EA, Kvien TK (2009) Cartilage and bone biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis: prediction of 10-year radiographic progression. J Rheumatol 36:266–272Google Scholar
- Taylor AM, Preston AJ, Paulk NK, Sutherland H, Keenan CM, Wilson PJ, Wlodarski B, Grompe M, Ranganath LR, Gallagher JA, Jarvis JC (2012b) Ochronosis in a murine model of alkaptonuria is synonymous to that in the human condition. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 20:880–886PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vassiliadis E, Rasmussen LM, Byrjalsen I, Larsen DV, Chaturvedi R, Hosbond S, Saabye L, Diederichsen AC, Genovese F, Duffin KL, Zheng Q, Chen X, Leeming DJ, Christiansen C, Karsdal MA (2012) Clinical evaluation of a matrix metalloproteinase-12 cleaved fragment of titin as a cardiovascular serological biomarker. J Transl Med 10:140PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Veidal SS, Karsdal MA, Vassiliadis E, Nawrocki A, Larsen MR, Nguyen QH, Hagglund P, Luo Y, Zheng Q, Vainer B, Leeming DJ (2011) MMP mediated degradation of type VI collagen is highly associated with liver fibrosis–identification and validation of a novel biochemical marker assay. PLoS One 6:e24753PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar