Sociodemographic and Clinical Determinants of Quality of Life of Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is a serious health problem. Identifying factors affecting quality of life (QoL) may help modify risk factors and improve survival. The study included 180 patients treated for NSCLC in the Lower Silesian Center of Lung Diseases between January and December 2015. QoL was assessed with QLQ-C30 and QLQ-LC13 scales. General physical functioning was measured with the ECOG Performance Status scale. The clinical and sociodemographic data were retrieved from medical records. The influence of clinical and sociodemographic factors on QoL was examined. NSCLC reduced the global QoL (47.1 ± 23.4) and emotional functioning (57.8 ± 28.8); cognitive functioning was affected in least (76.0 ± 21.0). The patients reported fatigue (42.2 ± 26.2), sleep problems (42.0 ± 30.8), cough (49.8 ± 24.0), and taking analgesics (50.3 ± 37.1) as the most limiting factors. The worsening of a health condition expressed by the length of malignant disease; the presence of comorbidities, metastases, the cluster of symptoms, worse spirometric indices, and living alone had a negative influence on QoL. In conclusion, patients with NSCLC experience reduced QoL and emotional functioning. Proper treatment of comorbidities and symptom management may improve QoL in these patients.
KeywordsCognitive functioning NSCLC Performance status Physical functioning Quality of life Socioeconomic factors
Conflict of Interests
The authors declare no conflicts of interest in relation to this article.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, Bullinger M, Cull A, Duez NJ, Filiberti A, Flechtner H, Fleischman SB, de Haes JC, Kaasa S, Klee M, Osoba D, Razavi D, Rofe PB, Schraub S, Sneeuw K, Sullivan M, Takeda F (1993) The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 85(5):365–376CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Arraras JI, Hernandez B, Martinez M, Cambra C, Rico M, Illarramendi JJ, Viudez A, Ibanez B, Zarandona U, Martinez E, Vera R (2016) Quality of life in Spanish advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients: determinants of global QL and survival analyses. SpringerPlus 5:836CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Bendixen M, Jorgensen OD, Kronborg C, Andersen C, Licht PB (2016) Postoperative pain and quality of life after lobectomy via video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery or anterolateral thoracotomy for early stage lung cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 17(6):836–844CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Corre R, Greillier L, Le Caer H, Audigier-Valette C, Baize N, Berard H, Falchero L, Monnet I, Dansin E, Vergnenegre A, Marcq M, Decroisette C, Auliac JB, Bota S, Lamy R, Massuti B, Dujon C, Perol M, Daures JP, Descourt R, Lena H, Plassot C, Chouaid C (2016) Use of a comprehensive geriatric assessment for the management of elderly patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the Phase III Randomized ESOGIA-GFPC-GECP 08-02 Study. J Clin Oncol 34(13):1476–1483CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maione P, Perrone F, Gallo C, Manzione L, Piantedosi F, Barbera S, Cigolari S, Rosetti F, Piazza E, Robbiati SF, Bartetto O, Novello S, Migliorino MR (2005) Pretreatment quality of life and functional status assessment significantly predict survival of elderly patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy: a prognostic analysis of the multicenter Italian lung cancer in the elderly study. J Clin Oncol 23(28):6865–6872CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Scott NW, Fayers PM, Aaronson NK, Bottoley A, de Greaff A, Groenvold M, Gundy C, Koller M, Pettersen MA, Sprangers MA (2008) EORTC QLQ-C30 reference values. https://groups.eortc.be/qol/sites/default/files/img/newsletter/reference_values_manual2008.pdf. Accessed on 27 Sept 2016
- Tomaszewski KA, Puskulluoglu M, Biesiada K, Bochenek J, Nieckula J, Krzemieniecki K (2013) Validation of the Polish version of the eortc QLQ-C30 and the QLQ-OG25 for the assessment of health-related quality of life in patients with esophagi-gastric cancer. J Psychosoc Oncol 31(2):191–203CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zikos E, Ghislain I, Coens C, Ediebah DE, Sloan E, Quinten C, Koller M, van Meerbeeck JP, Flechtner HH, Stupp R, Pallis A, Czimbalmos A, Sprangers MA, Bottomley A (2014) Health-related quality of life in small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review on reporting of methods and clinical issues in randomised controlled trials. Lancet Oncol 15(2):e78–e89CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar