Surgical Results of Endoscopic Discectomy for Lumbar Disc Herniation: Three-Year Follow-up
Three years of follow-up results in lumbar disc herniation patients after endoscopic discectomy were evaluated using the Japanese Orthopaedic Association (JOA) scoring system by direct examination and questionnaires. The average postoperative JOA score was 28.4 points, and the average recovery rate was 91.9%. Eighty percent of patients doing light labor were able to return to their preoperative work within 1 month postoperatively. One patient was pregnant 2 years after surgery, and there was no adverse event related to childbirth and the discectomy. Within 3 months postoperatively 96.2% of the patients were able to return to their occupation. At 3 years, there was 92.3% follow-up. Endoscopic discectomy results were excellent at 3 years of follow-up.
Key wordsLumbar disc herniation Endoscope 3-year follow-up Employment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yamagata M, Takahashi K, Moriya H, et al (1999) Development of new endoscopic discectomy for lumbar disc herniation (in Japanese). Surg Tech Spine Spinal Nerve 1:8–10Google Scholar
- 2.Yamagata M, Moriya H, Takahashi K, et al (1998) Endoscopic discectomy for lumbar disc herniation: a new surgical technique (in Japanese). Endoscope 23:115–119Google Scholar
- 4.Loupasis GA, Stamos K, Katonis PG, et al (1999) Seven-to 20-year outcome of lumbar discectomy. Spine 15:2313–2317Google Scholar
- 7.Smyth H, Gallagher J, McManus F (1983) Surgery in lumbar disc protrusion: a longterm follow-up. Irish Med J 76:25–26Google Scholar
- 9.Abernathey CD, Yasargil MG (1990) Result of microsurgery. In: Microsurgery of the lumbar spine. Aspen, Rockville, MD, pp 233–236Google Scholar
- 10.Williams RW (1990) Result of microsurgery. In: Microsurgery of the lumbar spine. Aspen, Rockville, MD, pp 211–214Google Scholar
- 14.Yorimitsu E, Chiba K, Toyama Y, et al (2001) Long-term outcomes of standard discectomy for lumbar disc herniation: a follow-up study of more than 10 years. Spine 15:652–657Google Scholar
- 15.Yajiri Y, Imai K, Okabe S (2001) Employment result after discectomy for lumbar disc herniation. Jpn J Occupat Med Traumatol 49:P206 (in Japanese)Google Scholar