On the synergistic use of parallel exact solvers and heuristic/stochastic methods for combinatorial optimisation problems: A study case for the TSP on the Meiko CS-2
This paper deals with the exact solutions of combinatorial optimisation problems. We describe a parallel implementation of a Branch and Bound algorithm; we complete such software with heuristic schemes and we show results with reference to the well known TSP problem. We evaluate the performance by introducing the concept of implementation efficiency that allows to estimate the communication overhead notwith-standing the over-search problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bruno, G., d'Acierno, A.: The Multi-Algorithmic Approach to Optimisation Problems, High-Performance Computing and Networking, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 919, Springer, Berlin, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.Carpaneto, G., Toth, P.: Some New Branching and Bounding Criteria for the Asymmetric Traveling Salesman Problem, Management Science, 26 (7), 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Geist, G. A., Sanderam, V. S.: Network-Based Concurrent Computing on the PVM System, Concurrency: Practice and Experience, 4 (1992), 293–311.Google Scholar
- 4.Lai, T. H., Sahni., Anomalies in Parallel Branch and Bound Algorithms, Comm. of ACM, 27, 6, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Lai, T.H., Sprague, A.: Performance of Parallel Branch and Bound Algorithms, IEEE Trans. on Computers, C34, 10, 1985.Google Scholar