Using PVM to implement PPARDB/PVM, a portable parallel database management system
Although parallel databases have been an active research topic for several years, portable parallel databases represent a relatively new concept. They are required in order to make parallel systems available and appealing to an application-demanding user community. PPARDB / PVM, a portable parallel database management system that employs a “shared nothing” architecture and uses operator parallelism has been built on a heterogeneous workstation network. PPARDB / PVM uses PVM for portable communication primitives. Each workstation in the network is treated as a separate database node.
KeywordsParallel Databases PVM Portability Heterogeneous Network Shared Nothing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BORA90]Boral H. et al., “Prototyping Bubba, A highly parallel database system”, EEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 2 No. 1, March 1990.Google Scholar
- [DEWI90]DeWitt D. et al., “The Gamma database machine project”, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 2 No. 1, March 1990.Google Scholar
- [DEWI92]DeWitt D. and Gray J., “Parallel database systems: the future of high performance database systems”, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35 No. 6, June 1992.Google Scholar
- [FERR94]Ferrari A. and Sunderam V.S., “TPVM: Distributed concurrent computing with lightweight processes”, Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science, Emory University, 1994.Google Scholar
- [FRIE90]Frieder O., “On the design, implementation and evaluation of a portable parallel database system”, Proceedings of the PARBASE-90 International Conference on Databases, Parallel Architectures and their Applications, Los Alamitos, USA, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GEI94]Geist A. et al., “PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine”, MIT Press, Cambridge, USA, 1994.Google Scholar
- [HU95]Ron-Chung Hu and Stellwagen, R., “Navigation Server: A highly parallel DBMS on open systems”, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Data Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, March 1995.Google Scholar
- [MPI94]Message Passing Interface Forum, “MPI: A Message-Passing Interface standard”, International Journal of Supercomputer Applications, Vol. 8 No. 3 & 4, 1994.Google Scholar
- [PERI89]Perihelion Software Ltd., “The Helios operating system”, Prentice Hall International, 1989.Google Scholar
- [STON88]Stonebraker M. et al., “The design of XPRS”, Proceedings of the 14th VLDB Conference, Los Angeles, USA, 1988.Google Scholar
- [THEO92]Theoharis T., Papakonstantinou G. and Tsanakas P., “The design of PARDB: a parallel relational database management system”, Proceedings of 7th ISCIS Conference, Antalya, Turkey, November 1992.Google Scholar
- [ZHOU95]Zhou H. and Geist A., “LPVM: A step towards multithread PVM”, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, USA, 1995.Google Scholar