Quasicontinuum Monte Carlo Simulation of Multilayer Surface Growth
- 637 Downloads
We develop a method, for simulating epitaxial growth, based on coarse graining (in time) the evolution equations of the probability functions for Kinetic Monte Carlo. Our approach has the advantages offered by continuum methods but still retains enough of the fluctuations to offer good physical fidelity. We have compared our method to KMC in a number of situations and found good agreement.
KeywordsEpitaxial Growth Kinetic Monte Carlo Quasicontinuum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.K. Burton, N. Cabrera, and F.C. Frank, The growth of crystals and the equilibrium structure of their surfaces, Trans. R. Soc. London Ser. A 243 (1951), 299–358.Google Scholar
- R. Ghez and S.S. Iyer, The kinetics of fast steps on crystal surfaces and its application to molecular beam epitaxy of silicon, IBM J. Res. Develop. 32 (1988), 804–818.Google Scholar
- M. Petersen, C. Ratsch, R.E. Caflisch and A. Zangwill, Level set approach to reversible epitaxial growth, Phys. Rev. B 64 061602 (2001).Google Scholar
- T.P. Schulze, A hybrid method for simulating epitaxial growth, J. Cryst. Growth, to appear.Google Scholar
- J.A. Venables, Rate equation approaches to thin film nucleation kinetics., Phil. Mag. 27 (1973), 697–738.Google Scholar