Prediction of Soil–Water Characteristic Curve Based on Soil Index Properties
The measurement of soil parameters for the unsaturated soil constitutive models needs extensive laboratory tests. For most practical problems, it has been found that approximate soil properties are adequate for analysis. Thus, empirical procedures to evaluate unsaturated soil parameters would be valuable. The soil–water characteristic curve (SWCC) can be used to estimate various parameters used to describe unsaturated soil behavior. The SWCC is a relationship between soil suction and some measure of the water content. It can be measured or predicted based on soil index properties. Estimation based on index properties is highly desirable due to its simplicity and low cost.
In this paper, a new model for predicting the SWCC based on soil index properties and Van Genuchten equation is presented. The comparisons show that the SWCC predicted by this model is in a good agreement with the experimental results.
Key Wordsunsaturated soils soil–water characteristic curve (SWCC) matric suction water content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brooks RH, Corey AT (1964) Hydraulic Properties of Porous Media, Hydrology Papers, 3. Fort Collins, Colorado State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Escario V, Juca J (1989) Strength and deformation of partly saturated soils. In: Proc 12th Int Conf Soil Mech Found Eng, Rio de Janerio, 3:43–46Google Scholar
- Farrell D, Larson W (1972) Modeling the Pore Structure of Porous Media, Water Resource Research 8(3):699–706Google Scholar
- Fredlund DG, Raharjo H (1993) Soil Mechanics for Unsaturated Soils. Wiley InterscienceGoogle Scholar
- Fredlund DG, Xing A (1994) Equations for the Soil–Water Characteristic Curve, Can Geotech J 31(3):521–532Google Scholar
- Fredlund M, Fredlund D, Wilson G (1997) Prediction of the Soil–Water Characteristic Curve from Grain–Size Distribution and Volume–Mass Properties. In: Proc 3rd Brazilian Symp on Unsaturated Soils, Rio de Janerio.Google Scholar
- Gupta SC, Larson WE (1979) Estimating Soil Water Retention Characteristics from Particle Size Distribution, Organic Matter Percent and Bulk Density, Water Resources Research 15(6):325–339Google Scholar
- McKee CR, Bumb AC (1987) Flow-testing coalbed methane production wells in the presence of water and gas. In: SPE Formation Evaluation, December, pp 599–608Google Scholar
- Soil Vision User’s Guide (Version 1.2) (1997) [Computer Software], Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Soil Vision System, LtdGoogle Scholar
- Visser WC (1969) An Empirical Expression for the Desorption Curve, Water in the Unsaturated Zone:329–335Google Scholar
- Zapata CE (1999) Uncertainty in Soil–Water Characteristic Curve and Impact on Unsaturated Shear Strength Predictions. Ph.D. Thesis, Arizona State University, Tempe, United StatesGoogle Scholar
- Zapata CE, Houston WM, Houston SL, Walsh KD (2000) Soil-water characteristic curve variability. In: Shackleford CD, Houston SL, Chang N-Y (eds) Advances in Unsaturated Soils, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 99, Reston, ASCE: 84–124Google Scholar