Suction and Collapse of Lumpy Spoilheaps in Northwestern Bohemia
Large spoilheaps of overburden from open-cast coal mining in Northwestern Bohemia offer a space for development. However, they exhibit unfavourable features such as collapse potential caused by the lumpy structure with high overall void ratios. Suction oscillations contribute to the structure degradation by the intervoids closure. The paper presents in-situ suction monitoring and laboratory investigation of the collapse potential of spoilheaps.
Key Wordslumpy structure intervoids closure suction collapse potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abelev YM (1959) Collapse of macro-porosity loamy (loess) soil, Research Inst NIIOPS, Moscow, Proc No 37: 5–25Google Scholar
- ASTM (2003a) Standard Test Method for Measurement of Collapse Potential of Soils. ASTM D5333–03Google Scholar
- ASTM (2003b) Standard Test Method for Measurement of Soil Potential (Suction) Using Filter Paper. ASTM D5298–03Google Scholar
- Charles JA, Watts KS (1996) The assesment of the collapse potential of fills and its significance for building on fill, Proc Instn Civ Engng Geotech Engng 119:(1) 15–28Google Scholar
- Cui YJ, Delage P, Alzoghbi P (1998) Microstructure and collapse behaviour of a loess from Northern France. Proc 2nd Int Conf Unsat’98. Internat Acad Publishers, Beijing Vol 1: 31–36Google Scholar
- Fredlund DG, Rahardjo H (1993) Soil Mechanics for Unsaturated Soils. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Herbstová V, Boháč J (2005) Laboratory investigation of the collapsibility of a clayey spoil heap soil. In: Proc GEOPROB 2005, Int Conf on Problematic Soils. Famagusta, Cyprus, Vol 2: 715–722Google Scholar
- Hurník S (1978) Reconstruction of the Thickness of Overlying Complex in North Bohemian Brown-Coal Basin (Miocene), J Geol Min 23(3): 265–276 (in Czech)Google Scholar
- Jennings JE, Knight K (1957) The additional settlement of foundations due to a collapse of structure of sandy subsoils on wetting. Proc 4th ICSMFE 316–319Google Scholar