On the performance of the DVB-T system in mobile environments
Mobile multimedia services may become an important feature of terrestrial networks for a variety of applications. One possible scenario to offer digital TV services for mobile and portable receivers is to use the European DVB-T specifications that may allow high data rate transmission in an 8 MHz UHF channel. Although the DVB-T specifications were designed for fixed reception, some of its robust modes might allow mobile reception of TV-services. We analyse by means of theoretical investigations, computer simulations, laboratory tests and field trials, the behaviour and limits of the DVB-T specifications in mobile environments. Here, it seems that the Doppler shift is not necessarily the fundamental limitation of the DVB-T specifications. Rather, it is the lack of time interleaving that might pose problems.
KeywordsChannel Estimation Code Rate Doppler Frequency Mobile Environment Error Concealment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ETSI DVB-T Specifications, Draft prETS 300 744, September 1996.Google Scholar
- ETSI DAB Specifications, ETS 300 401, Mai 1997, ETSI.Google Scholar
- J. Hallier, T. Lauterbach, M. Unbehaun, ‘Bild und Videouebertragung ueber DAB-Ein erster Schritt zum Multimedia-Rundfunk', in ITG Report 1994.Google Scholar
- T. Lauterbach, ‘Digital Audio Broadcasting', Chapt. 10.5.4., Prototypsystem zur TV Uebertragung ueber das DAB-System, Franzis Edition, Feldkirchen, 1996Google Scholar
- H. Schulze, G. Zimmermann ‘A Compatible DAB Extension for Mobile Multimedia Applications', Proceedings of EPMCC'97, Bonn, Germany, September 1997Google Scholar
- K. Fazel, S. Aign, A. Romanowski, M. J. Ruf, ‘Mobile Multimedia Services via DAB: DMB', Proc. IEEE Globecom'97 Conference, Phoenix, Nov. 1997.Google Scholar
- P. Hoeher, S. Kaiser, P. Robertson, ‘Two Dimensional Pilot-Symbol-Aided Channel Estimation by Wiener Filtering', in Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP'97, Munich, April 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Schulze, ‘Digital Audio Broadcasting: Das Übertragungssystem im Mobilfunkkanal', Meschede Seminar, 19–21.9.1995Google Scholar
- P. Robertson, ‘Close-to-optimal one shot frequency synchronisation for OFDM using pilot carriers', Proc. IEEE Globecom'97 (CTMC) conference, Phoenix, Nov. 1997Google Scholar
- S. Aign S., K. Fazel, ‘Error detection and concealment measures in MPEG-2 video decoder', Proceedings of the International Workshop on HDTV94, Oct. 94., Turin, ItalyGoogle Scholar