Development of a decision support system for integrated water management in river basins
The application of computers for the planning and operation of water resource systems is a rapidly advancing field of research. In recent years, decision support system (DSS) has gained much attention in civil engineering, in which the output can be displayed in high quality and easy to be understood. In this study, the decision support system for integrated water management, CTIWM, is developed with particular reference to Chikugo River basin, a multipurpose multireservoir system in Japan. It uses a module library that contains compatible modules for simulating a variety of water and physio-chemical processes. Different kinds of numerical models may be invoked through user interface menu, which facilitates communications between users and models in a friendly way. It demonstrates that the integration of DSS technique, simulation and optimization models is an efficient way for water resources management.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Napiorkowski, J. J., Wolbring, F. A., Schultz, G. A.: Expert System Application for Real-Time Risk Management during Drought. In: Kundzewicz, Z. W., Rosbjerg, D., Simonovic, S. P., Tekeuchi, K. (eds.): Extreme Hydrological Events: Precipitation, Floods and Droughts. Proc. of the Yokohama Symp., IAHS publ. No. 213. 439–446 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Kojiri, T., Tomosugi, K., Galvao, C. V.: Knowledge-Based Decision Support System of Real-Time Reservoir Operation for Drought Control. J. Japan Soc. Hydrol. and Water Resour. 3 (1994) 188–195Google Scholar
- 3.Xu, Z.X., Kawamura, A. Jinno, K. Ito, K.: Decision Support System for WaterSupply Risk Management. In: Tanaka, T., Ohsuga, S., Ali, M. (eds.): Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems. Proc. of IEA/AIE-96, 135–140 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Wurbs, R. A.: Reservoir-System Simulation and Optimization Models. J. Water Resour. Plng. and Mgmt., ASCE, 4 (1993) 455–472Google Scholar
- 5.Canale, R. P., Owens, E. M., Auer, M. T., Effler, S. W.: Validation of Water-QuaQuality Model for Seneca River, N.Y. J. Water Resour. Plng. and Mgmt., ASCE, 3 (1995) 241–250Google Scholar
- 6.Jinno, K., Xu, Z. X., Kawamura, A., Tajiri, K: Risk Assessment of a Water Supply System during Drought. Water Resour. Develp. 2 (1995) 185–204Google Scholar
- 7.Ju, J., Hosain, M. U.: Finite-Element Graphic Objects in C++.J. Comput. Civ. Engrg., ASCE, 3 (1996) 258–260Google Scholar
- 8.Tisdale, T. S.: Object-Oriented Analysis of South Florida Hydrologic Systems. J. Comput. Civ. Engrg., ASCE. 4 (1996) 318–326Google Scholar