What can program supervision do for program re-use?
In this paper we are interested in knowledge-based techniques (called program supervision) for managing the re-use of a modular set of programs. The focus of this paper is to analyse which re-use problems program supervision techniques can solve. First a general definition for program supervision and a knowledge representation model are proposed. Then an analysis is presented in terms of the structure of the programs to re-use and in terms of the effort for building a program supervision knowledge base. This paper concludes with what program supervision can do for program re-use from the points of view of the code developers, the experts, and the end-users.
KeywordsProgram supervision software re-use knowledge-based system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Benali, I. Buvat, and al. A statistical method for the determination of the optimal metric in factor analysis of medical image sequence (FAMIS). Physics in Medicine and Biology, 38:1065–1080, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.British-Aerospace. “VIDIMUS Esprit Project Annual Report”. Technical report, Sowerby Research Centre, Bristol, England 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.V. Clément and M. Thonnat. Integration of Image Processing procedures, Ocapi: a Knowledge-Based Approach. Computer Vision Graphics and Image Processing: Image Understanding, 57(2), March 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Crubézy, F. Aubry, S. Moisan, V. Chameroy, M. Thonnat, and R. Di Paola. Managing Complex Processing of Medical Image Sequences by Program Supervision Techniques. In SPIE International Symposium on Medical Imaging'97, volume 3035, February 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Frouin, J.P. Bazin, M. Di Paola, O. Jolivet, and R. Di Paola. Famis: A Software Package for Functional Feature Extraction from Biomedical Multidimensional Images. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 16(2):81–91, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Haest et al. ESPION: An Expert System for System Identification. Automatica, 26(1):85–95, 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.J.E. Larsson and P. Persson. An Expert System Interface for an Identification Program. Automatica, 27(6):919–930, 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Marcos, S. Moisan, and A. P. del Pobil. A Model-Based Approach to the Verification of Program Supervision Systems. In 4th European Symposium on the Validation and Verification of Knowledge Based Systems, pages 231–241, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Moisan, R. Vincent, and M. Thonnat. Program Supervision: from Knowledge Modeling to Dedicated Engines. Technical report, INRIA, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.S.H. Nawab and V. Lesser. Integrated Processing and Understanding of Signals. In A.V.Oppenheim and S.H.Nawab, editors, Symbolic and Knowledge-Based Signal Processing, pages 251–285. Prentice Hall, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Shekhax, S. Moisan, and M. Thonnat. Towards an Intelligent Problem-Solving Environment for Signal Processing. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 36:347–359, March 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Thonnat, V. Clement, and J.C. Ossola. Automatic galaxy classification. Astrophysical Letters and Communication, 31(1–6):65–72, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Thonnat, V. Clement, and J. van den Elst. Supervision of perception tasks for autonomous systems: the OCAPI approach. Journal of Information Science and Technology, 3(2):140–163, Jan 1994. Also in Rapport de Recherche 2000, 1993, INRIA Sophia Antipolis.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Thonnat and S. Moisan. Knowledge-based systems for program supervision. In First international workshop on Knowledge-Based systems for the (re)Use of Programs libraries KBUP'95, pages 4–8, Sophia Antipolis, France, March 1995. First international workshop on Knowledge-Based systems for the (re) Use of Programs libraries KBUP'95, pagesGoogle Scholar
- 15.J. van den Elst, F. van Harmelen, G. Schreiber, and M. Thonnat. A functional specification of reusing software components. In Sixth International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, pages 374–381. Knowledge Systems Institute, June 1994.Google Scholar
- 16.J. van den Elst, F. van Harmelen, and M. Thonnat. Modelling Software Components for Reuse. In Seventh International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, pages 350–357. Knowledge Systems Institute, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Vincent and M. Thonnat. Planning, executing, controlling and replanning for ip program library. In Proc. of 8th Artificial intelligence and Soft computing ASC'97, July 1997.Google Scholar
- 18.R. Vincent, M. Thonnat, and J.C. Ossola. Program supervision for automatic galaxy classification. In Proc. of the International Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology CISST'97, June 1997.Google Scholar