Learning, deciding, predicting: The soccer playing mind
In this paper we present an architecture which does not rely on any fixed hierarchy of agents in an attempt to remove dependencies and predictability from our system. We also present one method of simplifying the choice between available strategies by predicting the type of chassis used by the opposition, and therefore its limitation of movement. We consider the question of when are learning methods appropriate and in what areas are other, simpler approaches more efficient. We also develop coaching as a method of implanting simple maneuvers and tactical planning into our system. We consider the problem of how to distribute intelligence within the system, and the degree of independence and autonomy accorded to each player.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asada, M. (1996). “Preface to Advanced Robotics.” Advanced Robotics, Vol 10. No 2.: 139–142.Google Scholar
- Brooks, R. A. (1986). “A Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot.” IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, RA-2, Number 1, March 1986.Google Scholar
- Hiroaki Kitano, M. A., Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Itsuki Noda, Eiichi Osawa (1995.) “Robocup:The Robot World Cup Initiative.” IJCAI-95 Workshop on Entertainment and AI/Alife: 19–24.Google Scholar
- Noda et. al., Itsuki Noda, Hitoshi Matsubara. (1996). “Soccer Server and Researches on Multi-Agent Systems.” Proceedings of IROS-96 Workshop on RoboCup: 1–7.Google Scholar
- International and c. a. p. f. RoboCup-97 (1996). “RoboCup Real Robot League Regulations.” Available at http://www.robocup.org/RoboCup/rule.html].Google Scholar
- Jennings, M. W. a. N. R. (1994). “Agent Theories, Architectures and Languages: A Survey.” Intelligent Agents, ECAI-94 Workshop on Agent Theories, Architectures and Languages, Proceedings.Google Scholar
- Michael K. Sahota, A. K. M. (1994). “Can Situated Robots Play Soccer.”Canadian AI-94.Google Scholar
- Sean Luke, L. S. (1996). “Evoloving Teamwork and coordination with Genetic Programming.” Genetic Programming 96, Stanford, July 1996.Google Scholar
- Sorin Achim, P. S., Manuela Veloso (1996). “Building a Dedicated Robotic Soccer System.” Proceedings of IROS-96 Workshop on RoboCup: 41–48.Google Scholar