Selective materialization: An efficient method for spatial data cube construction
On-line analytical processing (OLAP) has gained its popularity in database industry. With a huge amount of data stored in spatial databases and the introduction of spatial components to many relational or object-relational databases, it is important to study the methods for spatial data warehousing and on-line analytical processing of spatial data. In this paper, we study methods for spatial OLAP, by integration of nonspatial on-line analytical processing (OLAP) methods with spatial database implementation techniques. A spatial data warehouse model, which consists of both spatial and nonspatial dimensions and measures, is proposed. Methods for computation of spatial data cubes and analytical processing on such spatial data cubes are studied, with several strategies proposed, including approximation and partial materialization of the spatial objects resulted from spatial OLAP operations. Some techniques for selective materialization of the spatial computation results are worked out, and the performance study has demonstrated the effectiveness of these techniques.
KeywordsData warehouse data mining on-line analytical processing (OLAP) spatial databases spatial data analysis spatial OLAP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Agarwal, R. Agrawal, P. M. Deshpande, A. Gupta, J. F. Naughton, R. Ramakrishnan, and S. Sarawagi. On the computation of multidimensional aggregates. In Proc. 1996 Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, pages 506–521, Bombay, India, Sept. 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Ester, H.-P. Kriegel, and J. Sander. Spatial data mining: A database approach. In Proc. Int. Symp. Large Spatial Databases (SSD'97), pages 47–66, Berlin, Germany, July 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.U. M. Fayyad, G. Piatetsky-Shapiro, P. Smyth, and R. Uthurusamy. Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. AAAI/MIT Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Han, K. Koperski, and N. Stefanovic. GeoMiner: A system prototype for spatial data mining. In Proc. 1997 ACM-SIGMOD Int. Conf. Management of Data, pages 553–556, Tucson, Arizona, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. D. Ullman. Implementing data cubes efficiently. In Proc. 1996 ACM-SIGMOD Int. Conf. Management of Data, pages 205–216, Montreal, Canada, June 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.W. H. Inmon. Building the Data Warehouse. John Wiley, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Kimball. The Data Warehouse Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Koperski, J. Han, and J. Adhikary. Mining knowledge in geographic data. In Comm. ACM (to appear), 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.N. Stefanovic. Design and implementation of on-line analytical processing (OLAP) of spatial data. M.Sc. Thesis, Simon Fraser University, Canada, September 1997.Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Zhao, P. M. Deshpande, and J. F. Naughton. An array-based algorithm for simultaneous multidimensional aggregates. In Proc. 1997 ACM-SIGMOD Int. Conf. Management of Data, pages 159–170, Tucson, Arizona, May 1997.Google Scholar