Information extraction from a skewed form document in the presence of crossing characters
In this paper, we propose an information extraction method which can restore the handwritten character information from prescribed and skewed form documents. The proposed method include the following aspects: boundary and successive internal line dectection, accurate skew angle measurement, line removal and broken character restoration using morphological analysis model of crossing shape. Using the proposed method, more than 95% of the horizontal and vertical crossing lines are correctly restored.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Okada and M. Shridhar, “A Morphological Substraction Scheme for Form Analysis”, Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Pattern Rec.(Vienna, Austria), Vol. 3, Track C, pp. 190–194, Aug. 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Yu and A. K. Jain, “A Form Dropout System”, Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Pattern Rec.(Vienna, Austria), Vol. 3, Track C, pp. 701–705, Aug. 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.L. O' Gorman and R. Kasturi, Document Image Analysis, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Wenyin and D. Dori, “Spare Pixel Tracking: A Fast Vectorization Algorithm applied to Engineering Drawings”, Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Pattern Rec. (Vienna, Austria), Vol. 3, Track C, pp. 808–812, Aug. 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.H. S. Baird, “The Skew Angle of Printed Documents”, Proc. Conf. of the Society of Photographic Scientists and Engineers, pp. 14–21, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.L. O'Gorman, “The Document Spectrum for Page Layout Analysis”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, Vol. PAMI-15, No. 11, pp. 1162–1173, Nov. 1993.Google Scholar