A constraint network for symbol detection in architectural drawings
A network used to detect and recognize several different symbols (doors, windows...) in scanned architectural drawings is presented. This network, based on Messmer's network for exact and inexact graph matching, presents a compact representation of all the symbols, which allows a one-pass search. Some modifications to this method for our specific document analysis problem are outlined: the symbols are represented as sets of constraints on the segments and arcs of the symbol; a description language has been written in order to describe these constraints. Symbol detection is performed by propagating the segments and the arcs in the network and retrieving the recognized symbols. The construction of this network is an iterative incremental process.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ch. Ah-Soon and K. Tombre. Variations on the Analysis of Architectural Drawings. In Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Ulm (Germany), pages 347–351, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.A. K. Chhabra. Graphic Symbol Recognition: An Overview. In Proceedings of Second International Workshop on Graphics Recognition, Nancy (France), pages 244–252, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.S.-H. Lee and F.-J. Hsu. Spatial Reasoning and Similarity Retrieval of Images Using 2D C-string Knowledge Representation. Pattern Recognition, 25(3):305–318, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Lladós, J. López-Krahe, and E. Martf. A system to understand hand-drawn floor plans using subgraph isomorphism and Hough transform. Machine Vision and Applications, 10(3):150–158, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.B. T. Messmer and H. Bunke. Automatic Learning and Recognition of Graphical Symbols in Engineering Drawings. In R. Kasturi and K. Tombre, editors, Graphics Recognition — Methods and Applications, volume 1072 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 123–134. Springer-Verlag, May 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.B. T. Messmer and H. Bunke. Fast Error-correcting Graph Isomorphism Based on Model Precompilation. Technical Report 96-012, IAM, Universität Bern, Switzerland, September 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Miyao and Y. Nakano. Note Symbol Extraction for Printed Piano Scores Using Neural Networks. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, E79-D(5):548–554, May 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Pasternak. Adaptierbares Kernsystem zur Interpretation von Zeichnungen. Dissertation zur Erlangung des akademischen Grades eines Doktors der Naturwissenschaften (Dr. rer. nat.), Universität Hamburg, April 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Samet and A. Soffer. MARCO: MAp Retrieval by COntent. IEEE Transactions on PAMI, 18(8):783–798, August 1996.Google Scholar